[comp.sys.apple2] GSHK in the Finder?

davewh@microsoft.UUCP (03/12/91)

All this talk of putting Shrinkit capability into the Finder is not
the right way to go. The right thing to do is something similar to
Apple's MountImage CDEV hack for the Mac. Basically, you can have a
disk image file (created by some program - I forget its name) and
"mount" it so it acts just like a disk. You can copy files in and out
of it - all the basic stuff. When you're done, you dismount it and
then copy the image file wherever you want it.

So, the thing to do is have a SHK file mounter. SHK files would
appear as individual disks and then you can just slide files in and
out using whatever GSOS file copy method you like (Finder, usually).
When you're done, just dismount the image file and then BINSCII it up
and send it on its way. THIS is the "right" future for GS Shrinkit
(IMHO). (Note also that general archive file mounters could be
written so one could play the same game with BLU and Stuffit
files...)

Dave Whitney
Microsoft Corp.
"My opinions, you HEAR? MINE!"

jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Joshua Levitsky) (03/17/91)

Why have the CDev "mount" the SHK file? Wouldn't it be best to have an NDA that
will UNshrink and shrink the files you want? Just take Shrink It! GS 1.0.4 and
add the NDA code to the begining. You will then have an NDA with a menu bar.
some other changes need to be made, but not many. I think the "mount"ing idea
is good. Maybe have that as another option... like SHRINK, UNSHRINK, MOUNT...
something like that.
-Joshie EMT
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| INET: jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com               |  Drive safely;   |
|                                                      | 90% of the people|
| UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky          |   in the world   |
|                                                      |  are created by  |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!jlevitsky@nosc.mil |    accidents     |
\-------------------------------------------------------------------------/

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) (03/17/91)

In article <m0jHpmA-0000AjC@jartel.info.com> jlevitsky@gnh-applesauce.cts.com
(Joshua Levitsky) writes:
>Why have the CDev "mount" the SHK file?...

I would hope the CDev/whatever would allow you to mount shrinkit/nufx
*DISK IMAGES*.  Now, that would be sorta useful don't ya think?

Evan
--
Evan Ron Aussenberg
erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/18/91)

From davewh@microsoft.UUCP:

> All this talk of putting Shrinkit capability into the Finder is not
> the right way to go. The right thing to do is something similar to

    Andy heard of my suggestion to incorporate GS/ShrinkIt into the Finder,
but he told me that it would probably never happen.  GSHK is his own project,
and not in any way related to Apple Computer or Apple II DTS.  I suppose if
Apple wants GSHK to be part of the system software, they can license it from
him...

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."