[comp.sys.apple2] ? Apple LANs

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/04/91)

Does anyone know of LAN software for the //GS that doesn't require a dedicated
server like TOPS for the PC and Mac? Or is it possible to set up a //e as a
server?  What are the network options for a small Apple //GS system (2-3 CPUs)?

Robert Dewhirst
DEWHIRST@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU    or        (913)-841-9446 BBS

In article <28890.27d17b5d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of LAN software for the //GS that doesn't require a dedicated
>server like TOPS for the PC and Mac? Or is it possible to set up a //e as a
>server?  What are the network options for a small Apple //GS system (2-3 CPUs)?

	I'd say AppleTalk is your best option... possibly your only option
for the moment on the GS.

	If you want to simply network computers and printers (such as a
LaserWriter or ImageWriter), it's really easy. If you want to boot off of
a network server, then you need a dedicated Macintosh as the server.. You
can hook both Macs and GSes up to the network..

	Maybe some enterpreneuring member of the net has written software to
use a GS as a server..

	You can also buy 'Workstation Cards' (I think that's what they're
officially called) to hook //es up to AppleTalk.. I think you're actually
almost buying a whole other computer on a card... I am pretty sure it has
a CPU and ram of its own.. and they're pretty damn expensive too..
It's great the GS has the capability built in..

	To everyone else: You can also have both Macs and GSes boot from
the network, correct? Somehow each one boots its correct operating system?

--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/04/91)

In article <13025@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <28890.27d17b5d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>	To everyone else: You can also have both Macs and GSes boot from
>the network, correct? Somehow each one boots its correct operating system?

Only Apple IIs can boot of a server. Macs can't (heh heh :-) It's
pretty neat how a II boots of a server... little dots appear on the
text screen to show that something's happening when you reboot. Also,
when you're in text mode, accesses to the server make a little
asterisk come on in the upper left of the screen. In SHR mode (maybe
with desktop up only, I'm not sure), you get the double arrows like on
a Mac. Pretty neat!

>--
><unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (03/04/91)

>	To everyone else: You can also have both Macs and GSes boot from
>the network, correct? Somehow each one boots its correct operating system?
>
>--
><unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>
    I dont think it is possible to have Macs boot from the apple share network
 because here at URI we were told it is impossible.  All our Macs must boot
 from a floppy.  Personally I hate it and if anyone has a way to boot a Mac
 from a fileserver I would like to hear from you.

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 AT URIACC.URI.EDU

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (03/05/91)

In article <9103041603.AA01989@apple.com>, PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) writes:
>>	To everyone else: You can also have both Macs and GSes boot from
>>the network, correct? Somehow each one boots its correct operating system?
>     I dont think it is possible to have Macs boot from the apple share network
>  because here at URI we were told it is impossible.  All our Macs must boot
>  from a floppy.  Personally I hate it and if anyone has a way to boot a Mac
>  from a fileserver I would like to hear from you.

From what I here, the new Macs have the capability of booting off of a
network, and also can boot without a disk. I don't remember how it does it
though.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/05/91)

In article <4087.27d252c9@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>From what I here, the new Macs have the capability of booting off of a
>network, and also can boot without a disk. I don't remember how it does it
>though.

Well, you can't _really_ boot off the network. The newer Macs have a
built in ROMDisk that you can boot from and you can access a file
server through that, but it isn't booting from the server. No extra
inits are loaded, not many fonts, and not much else. It's basically
the smallest bootable system disk, and you can't do much with it (I
think the LC one has MacBugs though). Also, I doubt if Apple intended
for the Romdisk to be used as a way to access the fileserver from a
diskless Mac on a regular basis, since on the LC, you have to hold
down Control-Command-X-O (a two-handed thing) while using your third
hand to turn the thing on (the switch is on the back). Or you could
use your foot to flip on a power strip or something, but it's not an
easy-to-do thing...

>Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
>   ||||   Power Without     How DO you move/copy a      rc1dsanu@miamiu.BITNET
>  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays
UUCP: ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!daveh   |   can have serious consequences"
America Online: DrWho29                     |

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield) (03/05/91)

     A slight change of subject here, but is there a form of Telnet for the
GS?  My guess is no.  Does anyone know how difficult it would be to port
MacTCP, NCSA Telnet, etc. to the GS?  We're considering getting a GS at a lab
here, and I'd be very interested if anyone has any info.
     Also, has anyone written HFS.FST yet?  ;-)
--
							Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield			      brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (03/07/91)

>        Maybe some enterpreneuring member of the net has written software to
>use a GS as a server..
>
><unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER
.sig?>

Any idea if you could setup a BBS and network the computers through multiple
serial cards (up to 7 users I suppose). Using Null modems, decent performance
can be attained cheaply. Any Multi-line BBS software available for the Apple
II?

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (03/07/91)

>Only Apple IIs can boot of a server. Macs can't (heh heh :-) It's
>--
>David Huang                                 |

The GS has one of the most intelligent booting setups available. You tell the
computer where to boot from. Why don't all computers start this way? None of
this forgetting to remove a data disk from A: and getting a not a system disk
error. (yeah so, why not keep looking you Idiot Beast of a Machine?)

Macs are no better of course. (you were expecting more?)

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (03/07/91)

>From what I here, the new Macs have the capability of booting off of a
>network, and also can boot without a disk. I don't remember how it does it
>though.

>Ryan 'Gozar' Collins      Question for IBM Users:
rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET

They have a fair portion of System 6.0.x in ROM. You can boot without a disk
drive if you are so inclined, but you have a pretty minimal system. Even less
than what you get with GEM.  (just kidding.  :)

No DAs, INITs or the other neat stuff that makes a Mac tolerable. You also
lose you custom drivers and RAM based toolsets (they're not all in ROM yet).

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/08/91)

In article <45061@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>In article <4087.27d252c9@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>>From what I here, the new Macs have the capability of booting off of a
>>network, and also can boot without a disk. I don't remember how it does it
>>though.
>
>Well, you can't _really_ boot off the network. The newer Macs have a
>built in ROMDisk that you can boot from and you can access a file
>server through that, but it isn't booting from the server. No extra
>inits are loaded, not many fonts, and not much else. It's basically
>the smallest bootable system disk, and you can't do much with it (I
>think the LC one has MacBugs though). Also, I doubt if Apple intended
>for the Romdisk to be used as a way to access the fileserver from a
>diskless Mac on a regular basis, since on the LC, you have to hold
>down Control-Command-X-O (a two-handed thing) while using your third
>hand to turn the thing on (the switch is on the back). Or you could
>use your foot to flip on a power strip or something, but it's not an
>easy-to-do thing...

I suspect that in the future there will be a more friendly way to configure
a Mac for network boot (probably something in the Control Panel, saved in
the non-volatile PRAM).  I also suspect that in said future you will be
able to store a System Folder on the network server, to which your Mac
could switch after the initial ROM-based boot, thus giving you your custom
fonts, DAs, INITS, etc.  This capability is rumored to be one of the major
new features of AppleShare 3.0.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (03/18/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	You can also buy 'Workstation Cards' (I think that's what they're
>officially called) to hook //es up to AppleTalk.. I think you're actually
>almost buying a whole other computer on a card... I am pretty sure it has
>a CPU and ram of its own.. and they're pretty damn expensive too..
>It's great the GS has the capability built in..

I have such a beast in front of me now. It has a 65C02 (-3), 64K ROM (27512),
16K RAM (2 x 6264), a Zilog controller chip similar to the GS's (85c30, except
its a DIP), and a big fat gate custom gate array (PLCC). By no means is this
card simple. I was very fortunate to get the card, but I still lack the
software and cables.  I have to contact Mac Canada  :(

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com