[comp.sys.apple2] Apple StyleWriter

Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) (03/15/91)

                                                               Time: 10:24 AM
                                                               Date: 12/21/90
Subject:  Apple StyleWriter

I saw the new Apple StyleWriter injet printer at a Computer Fair here on compus
and was inpressed at the quality and the price!  Only $380 bucks!  But, it
won't work on the Apple IIs!  Supposedly, the StyleWriter accesses Mac rom
routines to perform the printing.  Pretty stupid Apple.  Anyway, maybe there is
a way to create a driver for it or add the needed rom routines to GS/OS?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joe M. Luzzi

Internet: Joe@CSU.FULLERTON.EDU
BITNET:   LJMLUZZ@CALSTATE.EDU

GENIE : JM.LUZZI
AOL   : JMLUZZI
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

c188-br@volga.Berkeley.EDU (Calvin Cheng) (03/17/91)

In article <9103141902.AA01360@apple.com> Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) writes:

>I saw the new Apple StyleWriter injet printer at a Computer Fair here on compus
>and was inpressed at the quality and the price!  Only $380 bucks!  But, it
>won't work on the Apple IIs!  Supposedly, the StyleWriter accesses Mac rom
>routines to perform the printing.  Pretty stupid Apple.  Anyway, maybe there is
>a way to create a driver for it or add the needed rom routines to GS/OS?
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Joe M. Luzzi

I haven't seen the StyleWriter but sure like to see one.  The price seems
reasonable (for an Apple) 'coz it comes with items (like a sheetfeeder) which
is supposed to be optional on the cheaper generic Canon Bubblejets.  But
trust me, PostScript is the only way right now to go for sophisticated looking
graphics.  I'm just waiting for Postscript printer prices to drop even further.

I suppose a driver for the IIGS isn't going to be hard?  Apple folks out
there?  It's just plain QuickDraw page creation and then transfer.  The only
part that may not work is the TrueType font scaling (haven't seen any of the
TrueType typefaces myself).

Calvin Cheng
<< The Best is Yet to Be! >>

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (03/17/91)

I didn't want to repeat too much information:

An Apple rep on campus informed me that Apple StyleWriter printer
drivers for the IIgs will be available in the fall.  Apple is
surrently working on them!  I can't wait!

Sign me up!

Mike

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (03/18/91)

Just as an additional piece of information to show the tremendous support apple
is giving the apple II:

According to apple (you know who you are) the Stylewriter works with the apple
II "All it needs is a driver!"  Gee, how clever of the tech support department.
By the same toke ANY printer, especially those nifty Hewlett Packard printers,
are compatible and work with the Apple II - all they need is a driver.

Now, a certain developer for the apple II that creates harmonious printer
drivers contacted apple support about getting information on the new printers
so that they may support it in their printer package.  The only reply they have
gotten was that "You request was pased on to the printer evangelist", which was
the last they heard about it.

Needless to say, thanks in part to apple's 'support', it does not seem like
such a driver will be available 'real soon now'.

But then according to apple logic, any other printer is just as compatible -
all it needs is a driver.  And come to think of it, there are some realle great
drivers out for the whole family of HP printers - courtesy of Vitesse and their
Harmony drivers.  I guess it would be silly to spend money on just another
apple peripheral when there are much equal or better solutions out there 0 and
there are drivers out for them.

I guess apple is just talented in shooting themselves in the foot!

Harry

P.S.  For more information on Vitesse printer drivers, feel free to call them
at (818) 813-1270.

 uucp : ucrmath!alchemy!hzink |     Financial Independence *CAN* be Yours!
 INET : hzink@alchemy.uucp    | 24hr Taped Information Hotline (714) 276-2020
 -----------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Wesley: "Captain, this doesn't look like the holodeck to me."
   Worf: "Ready to cycle airlock, Captain." Picard: "Make it so."

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/18/91)

I was going to write a printer driver for a printer that I have that is NOT
supported by Apple.  After finding out the work involved, I changed my
mind.  Drivers are HARD.  I found out that it took the guy 1 YEAR to write
the drivers for the Imagewriter II for the System 5.03 and 5.0.4.  I have a
book here next to me about drivers.  If you can, check out  DEVELOPE  Issue
4, October 1990.  It's out out by (beleive it or not)  Apple, Computer,
INC. The sentance of the second paragraph states:
        Unfortunally, the reality isn't quite as nifty as the theory.

        Adam
----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (03/19/91)

In article <387@alchemy.UUCP> hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) writes:

[incredible account of Apple's inept support of printer drivers]

Apple has not been terribly helpful with respect to others writing
printer drivers even for the Mac. You should see some of the accounts
re HP and the DeskWriter. So I don't think this is meant as a slight
fo the GS.

In any case, the Deskjet500, DeskWriter, Paintjet, PaintWriter( soon),
etc...are all better printers than Apple's adaptation of the Canon
Bubble jet. In particular, both the Deskjet and the DeskWriter are
great printers.

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.toronto.edu