[comp.sys.apple2] Fatal err $911 again...

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/06/91)

I recall this being discussed a while ago, but here it is again...
Error $911 means timeToGetFanErr, right? (according to my manuals,
it's ADB can't sync, but that tells me nothing...). I did the system
test thing and got errors 0900001, 0900002 and 0900003 (or something
like that). After opening the cover and pushing on some chips,
everything seems to be doing OK (got System Good, and no $911s).
Haven't tried it with the cover back on yet though.

I've got a Rom 01, RamFast SCSI, Disk II controller and 2M on a
GS-Sauce.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (03/07/91)

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:

> I recall this being discussed a while ago, but here it is again...
> Error $911 means timeToGetFanErr, right? (according to my manuals,
> it's ADB can't sync, but that tells me nothing...). I did the system
> test thing and got errors 0900001, 0900002 and 0900003 (or something
> like that). After opening the cover and pushing on some chips,
> everything seems to be doing OK (got System Good, and no $911s).
> Haven't tried it with the cover back on yet though.
>
> I've got a Rom 01, RamFast SCSI, Disk II controller and 2M on a
> GS-Sauce.

I used to have the same thing happen to me all of the time.  A simple
explanation of what causes the problems above (ADB can't sync, etc) is
that you've probably got too much HEAT inside your cpu case.  When I got
my SystemSaver IIgs, however, that problem disappeared.  (Just to let you
know the difference, it used to happen to me daily, but now it hasn't
happened to me but once in the 15 months since I've had my System Saver.)

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! Maybe the people with the most answers      |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! have solved the most problems.              |
| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp        !              Apple II Forever!              |
|_cmcurtin%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com!_____________Support__Shareware!_____________|

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET (03/12/91)

Okay, BUT.... I _KNOW_ that at one time, there was some sorta free fix
Apple had going... it was like 'Bring it in, and if you can make it do it
in front of us, we'll fix it free.' -- or something... at least I think it
was free.

Anyone have any ideas?  Mine still does this too... it's real darn annoying.
Bye! :)

 - Andrew.

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (03/19/91)

AABENSON@MTUS5.BITNET writes:

> Okay, BUT.... I _KNOW_ that at one time, there was some sorta free fix
> Apple had going... it was like 'Bring it in, and if you can make it do it
> in front of us, we'll fix it free.' -- or something... at least I think it
> was free.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  Mine still does this too... it's real darn annoying.

Do you have a system saver (or equivalent) on your system?  I used to have that
problem every time I had my GS on for more than 3 hours (every time I used
it!) until I got my system saver (over a year ago).  I have had MAYBE 2
fatal system errors $0911 since then...

The problem occurs when your system gets too much heat inside of it.  The
more cards you have inside, the worse it is.  If you don't have some sort
of way to cool it, the fatal system error is almost unavoidable. :-(