[comp.sys.apple2] ExpressLoad/System Disk

In article <45329@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>Check the GS/OS Technote #1, it lists which files are needed to boot
>and which aren't... it also depends on what the program you're running
>needs. If it doesn't use fonts, you don't need the Fonts directory. If

	Oh COMON. Isn't that a bit MUCH? Besides, isn't ANYTHING that uses the
GUI going to need fonts? Or is the 'standard' font the Finder uses built in?
(doubtful, as it's be inconsistent with keeping everything in directories)

>it doesn't need tools (rather unlikely though), you can trash the
>Tools directory. You should keep everything in the System.Setup
>directory, the CDevs and Desk.Accs directories are nice to have
>around, but if you're really cramped for disk space, you can get rid
>of them too. Lessee... You need the ProDOS file in the volume

	I get rid of the CDEVS and the Control Panel desk accessory first
thing.. The most "useless" thing on the System Disk, I'd say. Sure, I hope
we eventually get enough CDEVs and such like the Macs have, and when I get
my harddrive back, I'll leave the CDEVs in, but on a floppy based system
it's pointless.

>>>[I screwed up the attributions]
>>[I said the doubly quoted stuff]
>>>2.  What is Expressload?
>>	It is an ingenious method by which file running is made much faster,
>>up to orders of magnitude faster.
>It doesn't make file running faster, just file loading (that's why
>it's ExpressLoad, not ExpressRun :-)

	Load, run, tomayto, tomahto..

	Yeahyeah, I realize I'm technically using the word incorrectly,
but I think of "running" a program as loading an executing it... and
Expressload makes the loading faster.. (I guess I'm thinking about
"RUN" and "BRUN" from DOS 3.3, which load and execute files)

--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (03/11/91)

In article <13219@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

> In article <45329@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>>Check the GS/OS Technote #1, it lists which files are needed to boot
>>and which aren't... it also depends on what the program you're running
>>needs. If it doesn't use fonts, you don't need the Fonts directory. If
>
> 	Oh COMON. Isn't that a bit MUCH? Besides, isn't ANYTHING that uses the
> GUI going to need fonts? Or is the 'standard' font the Finder uses built in?
> (doubtful, as it's be inconsistent with keeping everything in directories)

	Yes - the system font is built into ROM, there is an advantage as this
is needed by a number of programs and somebody is likely to delete it from
their disk.  But it is a good idea to leave Fastfont in the fonts directory
(from memory it does the same job faster, but this is probably not quite
correct).

>>it doesn't need tools (rather unlikely though), you can trash the
>>Tools directory. You should keep everything in the System.Setup
>>directory, the CDevs and Desk.Accs directories are nice to have
>>around, but if you're really cramped for disk space, you can get rid
>>of them too. Lessee... You need the ProDOS file in the volume
>
> 	I get rid of the CDEVS and the Control Panel desk accessory first
> thing.. The most "useless" thing on the System Disk, I'd say. Sure, I hope
> we eventually get enough CDEVs and such like the Macs have, and when I get
> my harddrive back, I'll leave the CDEVs in, but on a floppy based system
> it's pointless.

	There is one disadvantage - you lose the ability to set the cache and
printer support if you delete these CDEVS.  Before I got my hard disk working I
had some fairly minimal 3.5's set up but I always included the Control panel
and these two CDEVs.

--
Stephen Harker				phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University

jordan@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Steve J. Jordan) (03/13/91)

Is Expressload always going or do I have to initiate it somehow?
Isn't there a key you type while GS/OS is loading?

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/14/91)

>Expressload makes the loading faster.. (I guess I'm thinking about
>"RUN" and "BRUN" from DOS 3.3, which load and execute files)

GS/OS doesn't access DOS 3.3 (unless you have FSTs, which I am not sure if
they even exist.

GS/OS also doesn't access BIN programs either even if they are on a PRODOS
disk.

The Expressload loads files like AppleWorks GS.   Most of what Expressload
does is S16 files.

----
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/15/91)

jordan@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Steve J. Jordan) writes:

>Is Expressload always going or do I have to initiate it somehow?
>Isn't there a key you type while GS/OS is loading?

Nah, the keys is just to get a cute little logo in the 'Welcome' box.

Expressload is loaded if you have (i think) more than 512K, and it gets
first crack at any OMF executable (this includes ALL GS specific program files
like S16's, EXE, tools, inits, DA's, drivers, etc., except Cdevs which use code
resources). If the file has been expressed (there are utilities for developers
that will express a loadable program, and linkers that will generate a loadable
program that is already expressed) then Expressload can load parts of the file
by hopping to them directly instead of scanning the file sequentially like the
normal system loader does.

If the file isn't expressed or Expressload isn't in memory, then the normal
system loader (whose earlier versions were called "the loader from hell" --
try booting any of the old games or programs like deluxepaint II from floppy
and you'll see what I mean) processes the file. The normal system loader
searches for segments in the program file by scanning the file from the
beginning -- Expressload relies on a 'directory' that tells it where in the
file each segment starts. Expressload calls the system loader for a lot of
things that the system loader does adequately, and its major purpose is as
a performance hack.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <7994@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
>>Expressload makes the loading faster.. (I guess I'm thinking about
>>"RUN" and "BRUN" from DOS 3.3, which load and execute files)
>GS/OS doesn't access DOS 3.3 (unless you have FSTs, which I am not sure if
>they even exist.

	I know, I was referring to something you must not have understood.

	I was referring to someone who else complained aobut my using of
"running" versus "loading".
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! CHEAP CD INFO-mail me BETTER .sig?>

marks@pro-shop.cts.com (System Administrator) (03/17/91)

>Is Expressload always going or do I have to initiate it somehow?
>Isn't there a key you type while GS/OS is loading?

If you hold down the 'open apple,option,control' key combination when you
initiate a startup to the finder, the Expressload graphic will appear under
the thermometer bar. I am not sure you are getting any Expressload benefits
though. (faster load, etc...) I believe you need the proper codes to be
present in the program to take advantage of Expressload.

-- Mark
----
ProLine:  marks@pro-shop              UUCP:  crash!pro-shop!marks
Internet: marks@pro-shop.cts.com      DARPA: crash!pro-shop!marks@nosc.mil

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/20/91)

On Sat, 16 Mar 91 17:16:06 GMT System Administrator said:

>>Is Expressload always going or do I have to initiate it somehow?
>>Isn't there a key you type while GS/OS is loading?
>
>If you hold down the 'open apple,option,control' key combination when you
>initiate a startup to the finder, the Expressload graphic will appear under
>the thermometer bar. I am not sure you are getting any Expressload benefits
>though. (faster load, etc...) I believe you need the proper codes to be
>present in the program to take advantage of Expressload.

You don't have to hold down the control key... just the open-apple & option
keys (or, hold down both joystick buttons).  It doesn't do anything, other than
display a nifty little 'Expressload' thingy.  For a file to take advantage of
expressload, it must have an expressload header.

>-- Mark
>----
>ProLine:  marks@pro-shop              UUCP:  crash!pro-shop!marks
>Internet: marks@pro-shop.cts.com      DARPA: crash!pro-shop!marks@nosc.mil

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/20/91)

In article <8046@crash.cts.com> marks@pro-shop.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:

>>Is Expressload always going or do I have to initiate it somehow?
>>Isn't there a key you type while GS/OS is loading?
>
>If you hold down the 'open apple,option,control' key combination when you
>initiate a startup to the finder, the Expressload graphic will appear under
>the thermometer bar. I am not sure you are getting any Expressload benefits
>though. (faster load, etc...) I believe you need the proper codes to be
>present in the program to take advantage of Expressload.

Holding down OA-Option (no Control needed) shows the nice ExpressLoad
in the welcome box, but that's all. ExpressLoad is automatically
loaded if you have 768K or more memory. A program has to have a
special ExpressLoad header for it to be loaded quickly though... The
Finder and AppleWorks GS are two programs that are Expressed
[actually, most new GS programs are expressed these days, but those
two are probably more commonly used].

Also, if you set the auxtype of the ExpressLoad file to $5254, the
ExpressLoad graphic will automatically appear.
$5254 == 'RT' => 'Rob Turner'??

>-- Mark
>----
>ProLine:  marks@pro-shop              UUCP:  crash!pro-shop!marks
>Internet: marks@pro-shop.cts.com      DARPA: crash!pro-shop!marks@nosc.mil

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six