[comp.sys.apple2] Large font sizes

sthomas@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Shadley Thomas) (03/16/91)

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find very large
Apple IIGS font sizes.  I have the Harmonie Deskjet printer driver
from Vitesse and it prints *very* well if you have a font size
4 times the size that you want to print in.  I would like to print
in size 18 Times or Helvetica.  Therefore, I need font size 72.

Thanks for any help,

Shad Thomas
email:  sthomas@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/16/91)

sthomas@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Shadley Thomas) writes:

>Hi everybody!

>I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find very large
>Apple IIGS font sizes.  I have the Harmonie Deskjet printer driver
>from Vitesse and it prints *very* well if you have a font size
>4 times the size that you want to print in.  I would like to print
>in size 18 Times or Helvetica.  Therefore, I need font size 72.

>Thanks for any help,

>Shad Thomas
>email:  sthomas@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

The only 72 point fonts I have are Amradillo, Bev.Hills.L, Cosmo.BK.LC,
Cosmo.BK.UC, Crumb.LC, Crumb.UC, Drawing, Edmonton, Eyes, Fancy Caps,
Flintstone, G.Shelton, Iceing, Icons, Kim.Deitch, NY.Headline, P.and.I,
R.Griffin, Signal.Flags, Spain, Stbrush, Washintonp, and Wilson.LC

johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com (John Cloninger) (03/17/91)

GS FONT EDITOR by Beagle Bros has Times, Helvetica, and Courier in sizes up
to 72 point.

ProLine : johnc@pro-sherwood
Internet: johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc
    ARPA: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc@nosc.mil

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (03/18/91)

Is there any way that we can start a font archive at tybalt or ummts,
or at one of the big archives? I don't have much, and when I want to
upload a ps file I puke not having the same fonts. How about a font
archive?

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/19/91)

    Speaking of large font sizes, I've seen 96-point fonts on a Mac
(apparently comes with the ImageWriter LQ disk), and I would like to convert
them to the GS.  Is that 32K limit still in effect?  I have some 72-point
fonts which have the high-ASCII characters deleted so the font strike would
fit in the 32K space.  Is there any way around this?

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/19/91)

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>    Speaking of large font sizes, I've seen 96-point fonts on a Mac
>(apparently comes with the ImageWriter LQ disk), and I would like to convert
>them to the GS.  Is that 32K limit still in effect?  I have some 72-point
>fonts which have the high-ASCII characters deleted so the font strike would
>fit in the 32K space.  Is there any way around this?

>Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
>U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
>Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

32k limit for a IIgs font? That would be 64 ProDOS blocks and I'm sure I've
got some IIgs fonts larger than that.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/20/91)

From kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires):

> 32k limit for a IIgs font? That would be 64 ProDOS blocks and I'm sure
> I've got some IIgs fonts larger than that.

    I just checked, and none of my fonts surpass 32K in size.  Not even
Helvetica.72, Times.72, etc.  I will have to find a 96-point font on a Mac
somewhere and try converting it with ResSpy.  I read about the font size limit
in the documentation for Beagle Bros' GS Font Editor.

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/20/91)

johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com (John Cloninger) writes:

>GS FONT EDITOR by Beagle Bros has Times, Helvetica, and Courier in sizes up
>to 72 point.

>ProLine : johnc@pro-sherwood
>Internet: johnc@pro-sherwood.cts.com
>    UUCP: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc
>    ARPA: crash!pro-sherwood!johnc@nosc.mil

But Beagle Bros. Font Editor is only Mouse driven - and those of us with a //e
with all slots filled and no mouse have a problem with that.