[comp.sys.apple2] dumbest guy in the world

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (03/20/91)

> OK, I must be the dumbest guy in the world...how are those archive on
> ummts.cc.umich.edu  dir: pc5  dearced? I've tried ShrinkIt, BinSCII, EXEC
> command from ProDOS basic...ug.

No, you're not.  But, do take a look at the !Index file as I spent
hundreds of hours going through the library and cleaning it up.  It says
how to decode the files.  Almost all of the files are in binscii/shrinkit
format, however.

    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5:

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/20/91)

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

>> OK, I must be the dumbest guy in the world...how are those archive on
>> ummts.cc.umich.edu  dir: pc5  dearced? I've tried ShrinkIt, BinSCII, EXEC
>> command from ProDOS basic...ug.
>
>No, you're not.  But, do take a look at the !Index file as I spent
>hundreds of hours going through the library and cleaning it up.  It says
>how to decode the files.  Almost all of the files are in binscii/shrinkit
>format, however.

>    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
>    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
>    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive
>
>    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
>    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
>    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5:

I still say I'm the dumbest guy in the world.  I've downloaded the !Index file
and the !ReadMe file to my local directory and am not able to read it.  How,
I axe you, HOW does one read it.  I think the unix I'm on has problems with the
! in filenames, but I really don't know.

| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires                       |
| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires|__________________________|

oops...=)

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar20.055035.21947@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:

>>    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
>>    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
>>    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive
>>
>>    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
>>    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
>>    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5:

Everyone,

PLEASE don't feel free to waste the net's money by always quoting someone's
huge signature.  It's enough that you quote what they said and attribute it
to them -- quoting the signature is just dumb.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple Computer, Inc.                     CompuServe: 70771,2615

I'm doing this on my own time, so I don't speak for Apple.

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/20/91)

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:

>I still say I'm the dumbest guy in the world.  I've downloaded the !Index file
>and the !ReadMe file to my local directory and am not able to read it.  How,
>I axe you, HOW does one read it.  I think the unix I'm on has problems with the
>! in filenames, but I really don't know.

Unix command lines usually use ! to indicate that you want to substitute one
of the most recent commands -- type a \! instead of a ! and you won't get an
'event not found' anymore. For example:
	more \!ReadMe
	more \!Index

In both cases, the \ indicates that the immediately following ! is a real !
and not something special (which is what it normally is, and that was why you
are having problems).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.055035.21947@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>I still say I'm the dumbest guy in the world.  I've downloaded the !Index file
>and the !ReadMe file to my local directory and am not able to read it.  How,
>I axe you, HOW does one read it.  I think the unix I'm on has problems with the
>! in filenames, but I really don't know.

Well, first of all, you shouldn't axe people... it puts them in a bad
mood :-) Anyways, if you're using a Unix system, put a backslash (\)
in front of the ! so the shell won't think you're trying to use a
history substitution.

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.055035.21947@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>I still say I'm the dumbest guy in the world.  I've downloaded the !Index file
>and the !ReadMe file to my local directory and am not able to read it.  How,
>I axe you, HOW does one read it.  I think the unix I'm on has problems with the
>! in filenames, but I really don't know.

UNIX itself has no problem with any character (other than /) in pathname
components.  My guess is that you're using the C-shell instead of a real
shell.  In your shoes I would type the command "sh" to get a real shell
then try reading the files (using "cat", "more", text editor, or whatever).