[comp.sys.apple2] AppleWorks Spreadsheet --> SYLK?

jem@hpisod2.cup.hp.com (Jim McCauley) (03/18/91)

I need to transfer a large number of fairly complex AppleWorks
spreadsheets to an IBM PC that will run some kind of spreadsheet
(Lotus 1-2-3 or Microsoft Excel) that reads in SYLK-format files.

Is there somewhere out in netland a utility that converts ASP files
into the SYLK format?  It's best if it runs on the Apple //e, but I
could transfer the files to a Unix machine as binary images and do the
conversions there, then zap them over to the PC.

Jim McCauley	jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com
Disclaimer: I speak the truth, but only on my own behalf.

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/20/91)

jem@hpisod2.cup.hp.com (Jim McCauley) writes:

>I need to transfer a large number of fairly complex AppleWorks
>spreadsheets to an IBM PC that will run some kind of spreadsheet
>(Lotus 1-2-3 or Microsoft Excel) that reads in SYLK-format files.

>Is there somewhere out in netland a utility that converts ASP files
>into the SYLK format?  It's best if it runs on the Apple //e, but I
>could transfer the files to a Unix machine as binary images and do the
>conversions there, then zap them over to the PC.

>Jim McCauley	jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com
>Disclaimer: I speak the truth, but only on my own behalf.

Well, there's a product called Cross-Works (v2.0) by SoftSpoken that
converts AppleWorks files to "most popular MS-DOS programs" among which
is Lotus 1-2-3.  It doesn't say anything about a SYLK format though.

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (03/21/91)

On Mon, 18 Mar 91 02:12:26 GMT you said:
>I need to transfer a large number of fairly complex AppleWorks
>spreadsheets to an IBM PC that will run some kind of spreadsheet
>(Lotus 1-2-3 or Microsoft Excel) that reads in SYLK-format files.
>
>Is there somewhere out in netland a utility that converts ASP files
>into the SYLK format?  It's best if it runs on the Apple //e, but I
>could transfer the files to a Unix machine as binary images and do the
>conversions there, then zap them over to the PC.
>
>Jim McCauley	jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com
>Disclaimer: I speak the truth, but only on my own behalf.

  Crossworks might work.  Another possibility is to use AFE on a Mac
to convert it to a Microsoft Works file, which then could probably be
imported into Microsoft Excel on a Mac, and I suspect it would then
be possible to transfer it to an IBM since I would think that Microsoft
either has a utility for reading Mac Excel files on an IBM or else
Works can probably export it as a SLYK file.

| Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet        |
| Department of Mathematics  |                             |
| University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500      |
| 32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein        |
| Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231  |