[comp.sys.apple2] Apple ][+ system: misc questions

jdd@db.toronto.edu (John DiMarco) (03/15/91)

I've inherited an Apple ][+ clone of dubious heritage. It came with a small
collection of software (Dos 3.3, CP/M, Ascii Express, various games), but
almost no documentation.

From playing with it, I've determined the following:

It's an Apple ][+ clone (The motherboard is marked "Unicom", I believe,
while the case is unmarked). It has 64k memory, an apple communications
card, a Videx 80-column card, a Z-80 card, and one disk drive with controller.

I have a number of questions:

- Is there any publically available source of documentation for any of this
  stuff (com card, videx card, Z-80 card esp.)?
- Can the Apple com card run at anything other than 300 bps? I managed to
  snarf a copy of Kermit 3.87, but the com card appears to ignore any baud
  setting from within Kermit other than 300 bps.
- How can I copy single files from one disk to another? Dos 3.3 doesn't seem
  to support anything other than copying entire disks.
- How do I transfer files between Apple Dos and CP/M? I don't have Kermit
  running on the CP/M side.
- How do I convert between the different Apple file formats (A/I/B/T)? The
  only conversion I've been able to manage is A or I to T (using list) and
  listed basic T's to A or I (using exec).

Please point me to decent sources of software (commercial and/or free) and
hardware for this thing, if any still remain.

Many thanks,

John
--
John DiMarco                   jdd@db.toronto.edu or jdd@db.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, CSRI    BITNET: jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net

Michael.Uhlemann@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Michael Uhlemann) (03/17/91)

jdd@db.toronto.edu (John DiMarco) writes:

>- How can I copy single files from one disk to another? Dos 3.3 doesn't seem
>  to support anything other than copying entire disks.

If you have the "SYSTEM MASTER DISK" You find a file FID on it. You can use
this to copy single files in DOS 3.3

>- How do I convert between the different Apple file formats (A/I/B/T)? The
>  only conversion I've been able to manage is A or I to T (using list) and
>  listed basic T's to A or I (using exec).

Transfer A <-> I
---------------

   Write this program as a text file:
	63900 ?CHR$(4)"open convert"
	63910 ?CHR$(4)"write convert"
	63920 LIST 0,63899
	63930 ?CHR$(4)"close"

   Load the program which shall be converted, exec the listed program and
   give the command  RUN 63900. Finally change the language and EXEC CONVERT.

Transfer A -> B
---------------

   Applesoft-programms start in memory at $0800. You can save it as a binary
   file with BSAVE-command
     But be careful! Applesoft-Programms need parameters on zero-page.

Transfer I -> B
---------------

   I don't know where Integer-BASIC-Programms a written in memory. Find it
   out and save this part of a memory

						Greetings Michael

|        E-Mail:  Michael.Uhlemann@arbi.informatik.uni-Oldenburg.de        |
| MAIN-ADDRESS:    | HOME-ADDRESS:    |                                    |
| Michael Uhlemann | Im Sieke 7       |        MAKE PEACE IN GULF!         |
| Babenend 106     | W-3257 Springe 1 |                                    |
| W-2900 Oldenburg | Germany          |     PREVENT A THIRD WORLD-WAR      |
| Germany          | T.: (05041) 4110 |                                    |

drewr@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (03/19/91)

>It's an Apple ][+ clone (The motherboard is marked "Unicom", I believe,
>while the case is unmarked). It has 64k memory, an apple communications
>card, a Videx 80-column card, a Z-80 card, and one disk drive with controller.

>- Is there any publically available source of documentation for any of this
  stuff (com card, videx card, Z-80 card esp.)?
>- How can I copy single files from one disk to another? Dos 3.3 doesn't seem

>Please point me to decent sources of software (commercial and/or free) and
>hardware for this thing, if any still remain.

>John DiMarco                   jdd@db.toronto.edu or jdd@db.utoronto.ca
----------
The best source I know of for this type of stuff is in my area.  If you
don't mind a LD call, try the Used Computer Store in Berkeley, CA. The phone
is (415) 548-8686.  They still sell old Apple II+'s and have all the
documentation you requested.

As far as copying files, dos 3.3 does not inherintly support a copy command.
Use a program called FID on the dos 3.3 system master disk to copy files.

Drew

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (03/21/91)

jdd@db.toronto.edu (John DiMarco) writes:
>I've inherited an Apple ][+ clone of dubious heritage. It came with a small
>collection of software (Dos 3.3, CP/M, Ascii Express, various games), but
>almost no documentation.
>
>From playing with it, I've determined the following:
>
>It's an Apple ][+ clone (The motherboard is marked "Unicom", I believe,
>while the case is unmarked). It has 64k memory, an apple communications
>card, a Videx 80-column card, a Z-80 card, and one disk drive with controller.
>
>I have a number of questions:
>
>- Is there any publically available source of documentation for any of this

I am guessing that the Videx 80 column card, Z80 card, and Disk controller are
clones too. Ideally, you might be able to get a manual by writing to Videx (if
there're still around). MicroSoft stopped supporting CP/M for the Apple II
long ago. Disk controllers... borrow a copy of the Apple DOS Manual.

Users groups will help you out a lot.

>  stuff (com card, videx card, Z-80 card esp.)?
>- Can the Apple com card run at anything other than 300 bps? I managed to
>  snarf a copy of Kermit 3.87, but the com card appears to ignore any baud
>  setting from within Kermit other than 300 bps.

The Comm Card runs at 110 and 300 bps. There's a rather easy hack to make it
300/1200. It rewires the 161's (if I recall) to divide by a different number.
Consult the Apple Communications Card Owners Manual.

>- How can I copy single files from one disk to another? Dos 3.3 doesn't seem
>  to support anything other than copying entire disks.

On the Apple II DOS 3.3 System Master, there's a copy program called CopyA. It
copies disks in 3 or 4 swaps. A program called FID (FIle Development, I
believe) copies files, supports wildcards, etc.

>- How do I transfer files between Apple Dos and CP/M? I don't have Kermit
>  running on the CP/M side.
>- How do I convert between the different Apple file formats (A/I/B/T)? The
>  only conversion I've been able to manage is A or I to T (using list) and
>  listed basic T's to A or I (using exec).

DOS to CP/M can be done via modem. I believe a program called APDOS will do
it. AppleSoft to Integer and vice versa is done through EXECing... gotta watch
syntax though. A <--> B, I <--> B doesn't make sense. Of course, you can do a
sector edit and make DOS think its something else.

>Please point me to decent sources of software (commercial and/or free) and
>hardware for this thing, if any still remain.

Best idea is to contact a User Group with strong Apple II roots. I'm a member
of one myself. There's a newsletter, Q&A, public domain library stretching
back 10 years, etc.  Send me mail for more info on this group (its in Canada
though).

>Many thanks,

Yer welcome.

>John
>--
>John DiMarco                   jdd@db.toronto.edu or jdd@db.utoronto.ca
>University of Toronto, CSRI    BITNET: jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
>(416) 978-8609                 UUCP: uunet!utai!db!jdd

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com