[comp.sys.apple2] A.E.

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) (11/24/90)

  Hi all,
     Maybe some one can clear this up for me.  I just got the Dec. 90 Incider
 Mag.  On page 9 there in an Applied Engineering ad for accelerator boards.
 Ok....the first paragraph reads as follows, "A blank sheet of engineering
 paper.  For some time now, we've done all of our design work using CAD
 (computer aided design), but the blank sheet of paper shown above represents
 future AE peripherals and accessories for the Apple II line."  I found this
 paragraph to be very concerning.  Does this mean they are no longer going
 to make new products for the Apple II?  If I have gotten this wrong and
 some one else out there has interpreted this differently please send me
 mail.  I'm confused, is this the way they advertise their products?

                                       Andy Kress
                                       PYC121 at URIACC

             Apple II:  The power to take over the world!

tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) (11/27/90)

PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) wrote:
>  ...  On page 9 there in an Applied Engineering ad for accelerator boards.
> Ok....the first paragraph reads as follows, "A blank sheet of engineering
> paper.  For some time now, we've done all of our design work using CAD
> (computer aided design), but the blank sheet of paper shown above represents
> future AE peripherals and accessories for the Apple II line."  I found this
> paragraph to be very concerning.  Does this mean they are no longer going
> to make new products for the Apple II?

My interpretation: they're going to be making new products that will
depend upon features designed into the TransWarp GS. If you buy someone
else's (e.g. Zip), you won't be able to take advantage of the neat new
stuff that will be coming out. They really stressed "future compatibility."

Anyone read something else into the ad?

-- Dave Tribby

NOWAKO09@SNYBUFVA.BITNET (APPLE //GS - THE POWER TO BE YOUR BEST) (11/29/90)

Could anyone give me a review of Audio Animator from AE? I was recently thinking
that my IIgs MIGHT just be considered a Synthesizer in a computer case, i.e.
a Mini FairLight (for 9000$ less). To take advantage of this I'm gonna have to
get;

        Hardware
        ~~~~~~~~
        1. Card to let me do digital sampling
        2. Card to allow me midi interface
        3. Card to allow me stereo output

        Software
        ~~~~~~~~
        1. Program that allows me to play a midi keyboard and
           place the input up on a staff (pyware or Music Studio)

        2. Program to allow me to change digital sounds to ASIF.

        3. Program to allow me to manipulate the actual WAVE of the
           sound I want to make (otherwise its not digital synthesis).

From what I have heard the Audio Animator would take care of all my
hardware needs in one shot except a midi keyboard (which I'll look outside
the computer field for anyway...).
Any help or advice here would make me name my next child after you.
                                                        - Joe Nowakowski

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (11/29/90)

In article <54240023@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> tribby@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (David Tribby) writes:
>PYC121@URIACC.URI.EDU (Andy Kress) wrote:
>>  ...  On page 9 there in an Applied Engineering ad for accelerator boards.
>> Ok....the first paragraph reads as follows, "A blank sheet of engineering
>> paper.  For some time now, we've done all of our design work using CAD
>> (computer aided design), but the blank sheet of paper shown above represents
>> future AE peripherals and accessories for the Apple II line."  I found this
>> paragraph to be very concerning.  Does this mean they are no longer going
>> to make new products for the Apple II?
>My interpretation: they're going to be making new products that will
>depend upon features designed into the TransWarp GS. If you buy someone
>else's (e.g. Zip), you won't be able to take advantage of the neat new
>stuff that will be coming out. They really stressed "future compatibility."

I just picked up a copy of InCider today (probably the only time I'll
ever buy it; I just wanted to see firsthand what everyone was talking
about :-) ).  I think all that AE is guilty of is being a bit
ambiguous in their ad, since you can interpret what they said in two
completely opposite ways.

(Let's just hope that's all there is to it.)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

ronh@lakesys.lakesys.com (Ron) (03/19/91)

A week or so back, I read a message saying that Applied Engineering had
made a change in thier warranty for Apple // products and changed thier
Apple // tech. support # to a 1-900-XXX-XXXX number.

Is there any truth to this?

Ron
acct069@carroll1.cc.edu
carroll1!acct069@uwm.edu

asslk@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (Kingry Shane L) (03/19/91)

In article <2268@lakesys.lakesys.com>, ronh@lakesys.lakesys.com (Ron) writes...
>A week or so back, I read a message saying that Applied Engineering had
>made a change in thier warranty for Apple // products and changed thier
>Apple // tech. support # to a 1-900-XXX-XXXX number.
>
>Is there any truth to this?
>
>Ron
>acct069@carroll1.cc.edu
>carroll1!acct069@uwm.edu

Though I haven't had a chance to try it yet (I need to), it is 900-369-2323

   -SK

mranger@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Richard Kissel) (03/21/91)

Your going to wind up paying 1.50 per minute andE is not conserned about
how long it keeps you waiting for a represenative to answer yQuestions..
Seems like a rip off to me..
Also looks like their trying to get id or downplay the apple //'s..
----
ProLine:  mranger@pro-odyssey
Internet: mranger@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!mranger