[comp.sys.apple2] Z-80 Softcard Question???

umsmit72@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth G. Smith) (03/20/91)

I have recently obtained a CP/M card for my Apple II+ computer (without
documentation) and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few
questions...

1)  The card has four binary switches on it.  They are all set to the
    OFF position.  I was wondering what exactly these switches are for.

2)  Of the several disks I obtained with the card, I have a program
    called 'NULU' which deals with libraries.  I was wondering what the
    purpose of a library is and how you go about using one.  I have
    only one '.LBR' file on the disks called 'LUX42.LBR' (on the modem7
    program disk) and haven't been able to manipulate the data in it to
    any great extent (other than listing it's members using 'NULU').

I believe the card is refered to as a Z-80 Softcard and doesn't appear
to have any manufacturer's markings on it.  Therefore, I don't believe
it is actually an Apple made card.

Can anyone enlighten me soas I may get the maximum use out of this
system.  I have used the CP/M OS with some success and really like what
it does for my rather modest system.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= umsmit72@ccu.umanitoba.ca =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean

pittman@mwk.uucp (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.213708.706@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umsmit72@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Kenneth G. Smith) writes:
> I have recently obtained a CP/M card for my Apple II+ computer (without
> documentation) and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few
> questions...
>
> [...]
> 2)  Of the several disks I obtained with the card, I have a program
>     called 'NULU' which deals with libraries.  I was wondering what the
>     purpose of a library is and how you go about using one.  I have
>     only one '.LBR' file on the disks called 'LUX42.LBR' (on the modem7
>     program disk) and haven't been able to manipulate the data in it to
>     any great extent (other than listing it's members using 'NULU').

    The .LBR file is CP/M's old analog of the .ARC and .ZIP files for
PC, except that no _automatic_ data compression takes place in the .LBR
file.  It is possible to put compressed (*.?Q? and *.?Z?) files in a
.LBR file, but that is a separate step, and is not required.

    Try the following with NULU...   First, put the disk with NULU in
drive A:, then give the following command (the A> is CP/M's prompt):

A> NULU

    NULU is now waiting for your commands.  Put the disk that has
LUX42.LBR in drive A:, and a blank, formatted disk in drive B:.  Then,
try the following command:

-O A:LUX42 -E B:*.* -X

    The -O command tells NULU to open A:LUX42.LBR, and the -E command
tells NULU to extract all members to drive B:.  The -X command tells
it to close the library and exit the program.

    At that point, you should be able to do a "DIR B:" and see all the
files that got extracted.

    Another command you should try is the -F command, which puts NULU
into "filesweep mode".  It steps you through the members of a library
and lets you apply one-key commands to them.  For example:

A> NULU -O D:XYZ.LBR -F

    Also note in the above example that NULU commands can be spelled
out in the CP/M command line.

    I can't remember the exact command (perhaps -H?) but there is an
online help screen available.

    Sorry I can't help you with your Z80 SoftCard.

    Regards...    Darrell Pittman

--- Darrell Pittman        pittman@mwk.uucp               ---
--- M. W. Kellogg Co.      pittman%mwk@lobster.hou.tx.us  ---
--- Houston, TX            (713) 753-4410                 ---