[comp.sys.apple2] Hello everyone

svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric Anderson) (03/18/91)

Hi folks.  I'm new to this Usenet stuff, so please try not to get angry if I
make a mess of things.

For about two months, I have been working on a program to uncompress .ZIP
files (i.e. the ones created by the IBM program PKUNZIP) on my Apple IIgs.  To
the best of my knowledge, the only other program which does this is the one
written by Martin E. Peckham sometime in 1989 - and that puppy is SLOW.

Although nobody likes to be bombarded with statistics, I will mention some
anyway.  I've got a 57K test file ("ARC512S.ZIP" - just some source code)
which I use to compare our programs.  Using a 2.8MHz Apple IIgs + the /RAM5
volume, Mr. Peckham's Unzip uncompressed this file in 184 seconds.  Since this
.ZIP file contains a comment >256 characters, this also causes his program to
crash.

Now, on the identical set-up, my Unzip program uncompresses this file in 31
seconds (and, as an added bonus, it doesn't crash :)  - this is almost six
times faster than MEP's Unzip program.  Zowie!

Anyway, I was wondering what some other Apple IIgs owners thought about this.
Since I'm a CLI person, there are no plans to create a cutesy graphical
version of this program.  However, if someone out there (Mr. Nicholas,
perhaps???) is interested in my program, I'll try to figure out how to send
him/her the executable file and/or the source code.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!svetozar
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!svetozar@nosc.mil
INET: svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (03/19/91)

In article <4347@orbit.cts.com> svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric Anderson) writes:
>Hi folks.  I'm new to this Usenet stuff, so please try not to get angry if I
>make a mess of things.

Welcome.

[stuff deleted]

>Anyway, I was wondering what some other Apple IIgs owners thought about this.
>Since I'm a CLI person, there are no plans to create a cutesy graphical
>version of this program.  However, if someone out there (Mr. Nicholas,
>perhaps???) is interested in my program, I'll try to figure out how to send
>him/her the executable file and/or the source code.

Please post the executables to comp.binaries.apple2. Posting the
source with it would also be great. (some of us, like me, are
still trying to learn to program the //gs and can use the
examples)

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer
Party naked... /AOL: Gargoth / Pro-line: kgreen@pro-angmar

dvac@druwa.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (03/22/91)

> For about two months, I have been working on a program to uncompress .ZIP....
> ...one written by Martin E. Peckham sometime in 1989 - and that puppy is SLO
>
> However, if someone out there is interested in my program, I'll try to
> figure out how to send him/her the executable file and/or the source code.

I have been looking for something to unpack ZIP files on an Apple ][+/e/c...
Can you at least put MEP's unZIPper on the binaries newsgroup, if not your
own.  Will they both work on a //e?

- Later Dan Vachon     dvac@druwa.ATT.COM