[comp.sys.apple2] DOWNLOADING from ummts.cc.umich.edu PC5:

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (03/20/91)

Has anyone has success downloading from ummts.cc.umich.edu?  I can't
seem to get any of the files there to work and can't find any
indication of how they are packed.

Thanks,
Rocky

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/21/91)

giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>Has anyone has success downloading from ummts.cc.umich.edu?  I can't
>seem to get any of the files there to work and can't find any
>indication of how they are packed.

>Thanks,
>Rocky

I have had NO success with the files on ummts.cc.umich.edu  PC5.  You
can get info on how to unpack them from the !INDEX file, but what it tells you
in there doesn't work.  I've tried BinSCII on the AW.CUSTOM file, like it says
to and it didn't work. The file is FULL of control characters.  Also, the ones
that say they don't need to be unpacked (I assume they're just standard ASCII
files) are filled with garbage, mostly @ signs.

 ___

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (03/21/91)

Using ASCII mode I have downloaded many files without problem.....

Andy Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
America Online: GOLDSTEIN

SOFT14@dist.dist.unige.it (Fabrizio Rossi) (03/21/91)

As i said in a previous post you should download from ummts.cc.umich.edu
using ASCII mode.
In this way I successfully got a lot of things from there.
Files are normally in BinSCII form or plain text.

					SOFT14

beh@wookumz.bu.edu (Bruce E. Howells) (03/22/91)

In article <AG0514.91Mar21132354@leah.albany.edu> ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) writes:

   Using ASCII mode I have downloaded many files without problem.....

Some Unix ftp programs have an annoying habit of guessing tranfer modes.
Basically, if they're talking to a machine it recognizes as Unix, it
*automatically* goes to binary if you haven't told it otherwise.

If you have one of these guessing ftp's, explicitly tell it "ascii" before
getting files.

Bruce Howells,  beh@gnu.ai.mit.edu