[comp.sys.apple2] DISPLAYING TEXT FROM DISK FILE...

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) (03/17/91)

Help!

I have a very large (2 megabytes) ascii text file which I am
unable to load into AppleWorks GS despite the fact that I have
4.25 meg!!

Is there a way to "trick" AWGS into loading it?  I have used
FileManager to manipulate the filetype, but no dice!

I would like a program similar to long play which would allow
me to view a text file directly from disk.  Is there a program
like this out there?  I would also like to have editing
capability from within the program (basically selecting areas
and saving them to the clipboard or scrapbook).

Don't ask me why the file is so large!!! I downloaded it from
my account and then destroyed the original.  I could upload it
back to my account and edit it there, but that would take too
long!

Thanks in advance!

Mike
mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/17/91)

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:

>Help!

>I have a very large (2 megabytes) ascii text file which I am
>unable to load into AppleWorks GS despite the fact that I have
>4.25 meg!!

>Is there a way to "trick" AWGS into loading it?  I have used
>FileManager to manipulate the filetype, but no dice!

>I would like a program similar to long play which would allow
>me to view a text file directly from disk.  Is there a program
>like this out there?  I would also like to have editing
>capability from within the program (basically selecting areas
>and saving them to the clipboard or scrapbook).

Well, you need to somehow segment the file into smalller files.

A lot of programs have the option to view a text file on disk.  ProTERM has
it (T = Type a disk file), a lot of the shareware utility programs have that
option, too.

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/19/91)

From mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz):

> I would like a program similar to long play which would allow
> me to view a text file directly from disk.  Is there a program
> like this out there?  I would also like to have editing
> capability from within the program (basically selecting areas
> and saving them to the clipboard or scrapbook).

    Try Stowe Keller's Lister utility (P8-based, but excellent nonetheless). I
have version 2.1, but there may or may not be an update to that.  It will read
in ANY unforked file and display it as text (you can specify the line
terminator) or as a binary dump.  It only loads in the portion of the file you
are looking at, so it the display is EXTREMELY quick.  There isn't any editing
capability in version 2.1, but you can do string/byte searches and extract
portions of the file to disk.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (03/22/91)

mkheintz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Michael Heintz) writes:
>Help!
>
>I have a very large (2 megabytes) ascii text file which I am
>unable to load into AppleWorks GS despite the fact that I have
>4.25 meg!!
>
>Is there a way to "trick" AWGS into loading it?  I have used
>FileManager to manipulate the filetype, but no dice!

May I suggest that you use AppleWorks (classic) instead. Not only will it be
faster in loading, but in editing too. AWGS is ill equipped for this, or
any other serious application.

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com