[comp.sys.apple2] How to FTP from ummts, tybalt, or anywhere else for that matter

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (03/22/91)

> giovin@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>
> I have had NO success with the files on ummts.cc.umich.edu  PC5.  You
> can get info on how to unpack them from the !INDEX file, but what it tells you
> in there doesn't work.  I've tried BinSCII on the AW.CUSTOM file, like it says
> to and it didn't work. The file is FULL of control characters.  Also, the ones
> that say they don't need to be unpacked (I assume they're just standard ASCII
> files) are filled with garbage, mostly @ signs.

Okay, lesson #1 about FTP.  If you request a file in binary mode,
that's what you get.  I don't care if it's ummts, tybalt, or
any other site.  As an example, here's the first five lines of
the above-mentioned AW.CUSTOM file:

FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789()
LAWCUSTOM.SHK   AEzJAAAACA(4aIAg1iAAIgQLIwStAADAA4fA
GVvTlzW6DQMWAAAAIwCNHcgWAQAAahQLAcwBAEABAAAAAAAAnAAAAAQMAAAAAAAA
GVvTdlH2DAAPAMAABAAAAoDAAAw4AwPABAAAAAACAAgAYdgNAoQGVAwBZgFCHAgC

That's it, folks.  Looks like straight ascii to me.  Runs through
Binscii without any problems.  I won't show you what it looks like if
you snag a binary version.  Not a pretty sight with all of the
Control characters, @ signs, etc.  You get the idea...

Take the time to read the !Index file.  It's worth your time.
Read the local docs on FTP at your sites as well.  It's worth our time.

    Todd A. Bakal                                Coming soon:
    U of M Apple User's Group                       a new, improved
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                          tested, UN*X archive

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu            FTP: ummts.cc.umich.edu
    BITnet:   UserTBKL@UMICHUB                        35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal           CD PC5: