[comp.sys.apple2] Multi-Colored Text screens

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Edward M. Moore") (03/20/91)

I've seen some assembly programs which display multi-colors on a text
screen.  I would like to do a simular thing on my IIGS through basic.
I know I'm going to have to poke, but I'm not sure what/and where to poke.
Can anyone lend me assistance?
Thanks!

TSEMM@Alaska.Bitnet
TSEMM@Acad1.jnu.alaska.edu
TSEMM@acad1.alaska.edu

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/20/91)

In article <9103191801.AA11712@apple.com> TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Edward M. Moore") writes:
>I've seen some assembly programs which display multi-colors on a text
>screen.  I would like to do a simular thing on my IIGS through basic.
>I know I'm going to have to poke, but I'm not sure what/and where to poke.
>Can anyone lend me assistance?
>Thanks!

   Well, it's more complex than that.  You have to poke every time the
guns gets to a new text line and you want to change colors.   You need
an assembly routine (BASIC is not even close to being fast enough) to
watch the Y location of the electron gun, or perhaps there's a slightly
better way to read it, but that's the gist of it.
   I would disassemble the GS Phone Toner (a BASIC program) and see how
they set it up, then stick the assembly code in your program.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/20/91)

On Tue, 19 Mar 91 08:57:16 -0900 Edward M. Moore said:
>I've seen some assembly programs which display multi-colors on a text
>screen.  I would like to do a simular thing on my IIGS through basic.
>I know I'm going to have to poke, but I'm not sure what/and where to poke.
>Can anyone lend me assistance?
>Thanks!

You're going to have to do a little bit more than poking.  The way those
machine language programs accomplish that is that they change the color of
the text/background/border BEFORE the electron beem has time to scan down
the entire screen.  They change the colors so fast, that it appears that
there is different colored text on the screen at the same time.  The
ONLY way this is possible is using critically timed machine language
subroutines.

>TSEMM@Alaska.Bitnet
>TSEMM@Acad1.jnu.alaska.edu
>TSEMM@acad1.alaska.edu

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric Anderson) (03/20/91)

Well, having "multi-colored" text on an Apple IIgs requires more than POKEs.
Since there is only _one_ foreground and background color for the entire text
screen, prorgams which display such text are constantly keeping an eye on the
where_is_the_beam numbers, and modifying the fore/back values accordingly.
Since that beam moves extremely quickly, you will simply not be able to
accomplish a multi-colored text screen without resorting to assembly language.
It's not what one would call difficult; however, unless you know some assembly
beforehand, it can quickly become Sanskrit.  Oh well.

Now, on the other hand, if you are not averse to getting your hands dirty, so
to speak, I could show you a simple change_the_colors routine which you could
type into the system monitor (the dreaded CALL - 151) and save for later use
inside some program of your own devising.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!svetozar
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!svetozar@nosc.mil
INET: svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET ("Edward M. Moore") (03/22/91)

I can't seem to get back to you through personal mail.  I have people
here that know some assembly.  Let's get dirty Eric Anderson.
OK?  Thanks.