[comp.sys.apple2] Printers

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (08/19/90)

I saw an ad for a printer emulation box called the "Superwriter 924" by Xetec.
Supposedly, it allows "most" 9 and 24 pin parallel printers to emulate the
Imagewriter series of printers (including the LQ).  Based on the picture with
the ad, it looks like it connects to the //c and IIGS printer ports with a
standard parallel interface at the other end.

Has anybody used this product?  I would appreciate any comments on how good/bad
the product is (I can summarize results to the net if there is any interest).
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) (03/19/91)

Okay, I saw the new Apple Printers today. First off, the Stylewriter is a
BUBBLEJET printer (not LASER). This means that it is a line printer not a page
printer and that it uses ink not toner cartridges. It has a printing resolution
of 360x360 dpi but because it uses ink, the dots are not as crisp (or as black)
as you would get with a Laser printer. This tends to make the text look fuzzier
(even if the resolution is higher!)
   The Stylewriter resembles an Imagewriter II sheet feeder. It is really
peculiar looking, but is very compact. It does not have a text only mode. All
information sent to it is in terms of graphics. This means it will not work on
any Apple II computers until those Apple II computers have special drivers for
it. Currently there are none. It uses Apple's new Truetype font technology (a
different word for something that closely resembles...but is NOT the same as
Quickdraw). Truetype is currently available only for the Mac line of computers.
    The new Personal Laserwriter LC, is quite similiar in operation to the
Stylewriter and uses the same type of interface. It does not have Postscript.
Neither printer has Appletalk.

In article <m0jIdBf-00004oC@jartel.info.com> kimbrennan@gnh-starport.cts.com (Kim Brennan) writes:
>it. Currently there are none. It uses Apple's new Truetype font technology (a
>different word for something that closely resembles...but is NOT the same as
>Quickdraw). Truetype is currently available only for the Mac line of computers.

	Isn't the Truetype font technology the "describe a font by an
algorithm rather than a pixel organization" idea? There's a more generic
term for that but I can't recall it.

	OUTLINE fonts.. that's it I believe.. Isn't that what Truetype fonts
are? Outline fonts.. And the outlines are equations defining the outline of
the fonts.. And when you scale fonts it does the correct mumbo jumbo to
the algorithms and then figures out which dots should be lit?

--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me>

rhyde@musial.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (03/20/91)

Truetype is an outline font description which is, essentially, an extension to
Quickdraw.  Other than there is no money in it, there is no reason to believe
that Apple couldn't implement truetype on an Apple II as well as the Mac.
This is a technical feasibility, I'm not trying to start a rumor.  Although`
possible to put truetype on an Apple II, I certainly wouldn't expect Apple`
to do it.  (actually, their response is "We already have, on the Apple II/LC
(whoops, Mac II LC!)").
One of truetype's attributes is that it uses quadratics rather than bezier
curves.  These are quite a bit less computationally intensive.  Therefore,
it might be possible to put truetype up on an Apple IIgs if you set aside
a lot of RAM for cache (so you only have to compute the bit-map once for each
character).
*** Randy Hyde

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (03/22/91)

>the StyleWriter... will not work on any Apple II computers until those
>Apple II computers have special drivers... there are none.

Never fear.  Someone out there will write one.  Harmonie and a few other
products have some great printer drivers.  It's just a matter of time..
maybe a few months.  I heard that a driver was necessary because the
StyleWriter accesses the Macs' ROMs for certain routines.  Golly, gee
whiz.. THANKS Apple.  You did it to us again.

PLine:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex / tg.exc@pro-harvest| The Toxic Revenger! |
INET:   plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com             |---------------------|
UUCP:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck               |  If you have an HP  |
ARPA:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck@nosc.mil      |  DeskJet for sale,  |
BITNET: plucky.duck%pro-midnightex.cts.com@nosc.mil    |  please e-mail me.  |