[comp.sys.apple2] Hypercard GS and sound

jxc19@po.CWRU.Edu (Jason Chao) (03/22/91)

  How do you play back a digitized sound file? The skimpy
documentation states that you can play back digitized files, but
does not say how, or exactly what format is required. Do I have
to go out and buy the whole script programming book to find out?

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/22/91)

From jxc19@po.CWRU.Edu (Jason Chao):

>   How do you play back a digitized sound file? The skimpy
> documentation states that you can play back digitized files, but
> does not say how, or exactly what format is required. Do I have
> to go out and buy the whole script programming book to find out?

    What?!?  Where did you get your copy of HyperCard GS?  It comes with a
390-page Reference Manual, 156-page "Getting Started" manual and a 171-page
intro to HyperTalk manual.  Not to mention two multi-panel quick reference
cards and 800K worth of Help stacks on disk... hardly skimpy!  But to answer
your question: sounds which are played with the HyperTalk "play" command must
reside as a 'snd' resource in an open file (i.e., the current stack, the Home
stack or in HyperCardIIGS itself).  You will need some sort of resource
editor.

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

jlawler@Apple.COM (John Lawler) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.192953.10081@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> jxc19@po.CWRU.Edu (Jason Chao) writes:

>  How do you play back a digitized sound file? The skimpy
>documentation states that you can play back digitized files, but
>does not say how, or exactly what format is required. Do I have
>to go out and buy the whole script programming book to find out?

To play a digitized sound, you use the play command. For instance, if you
have a sound called "Bartman", you would type
    play "Bartman"

Note that the sound has to be of the appropriate sound resource type. The
format is type $8024, and is documented on page 147 of the HyperCard IIgs
Script Language Guide (ISBN 0-201-57766-6). Converting existing GS sound
formats to the $8024 format is pretty easy, and a lot of people on the nets
(GEnie, etc) are working on converters.

Hope this helps.

-John

John Lawler             \ When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself,
Apple Computer, Inc.     \ the four young ladies, and of course, the goat.
Advanced Technology Group \
Collaboration Technologies \
20525 Mariani Ave, MS:76-2C \ (408) 974-0464
Cupertino, CA 94087          \ Internet: jlawler@apple.com   AppleLink: JLAWLER