[comp.sys.apple2] Memory Expansion Apple IIgs

ricky@unitech.se (Rickard Osser) (02/26/91)

I need to buy a new memorycard for my GS, my old one isn't DMA compatible...

I need to know what DMA compatible cards there are wich use 1 Mb Simms, I've
got four megs left from uppgrading a Mac, so I want to use the with my GS

Thanks in advance!

/Rickard.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/27/91)

In article <27CB859B.201@ics.uci.edu> djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Jay Padzensky) writes:
>In <318@unitech.se> ricky@unitech.se (Rickard Osser) writes:
>
>>I need to buy a new memorycard for my GS, my old one isn't DMA compatible...
>
>>I need to know what DMA compatible cards there are wich use 1 Mb Simms, I've
>>got four megs left from uppgrading a Mac, so I want to use the with my GS
>
>The Applied Engineering GS-RAM, GS-RAM Plus, and GS-RAM Ultra are all
>DMA compatible to six megs.  Beyond that, I think there are some
>problems which can be alleviated by a DMA cable.

Well, not the GS-RAM. You can only stuff 1.5Megs on a GS-RAM, and
2Megs more with the 2Meg expander thing (which I've never seen
around).

Anyways, none of those use SIMMs, so those extra SIMMs he has will be
wasted.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          | "Slight accidents with funny rays

jarr@pro-micol.cts.com (John Farris) (02/28/91)

Haris' GS Sause takes simms, and it holds four of them. I don't know if any
other cards use them.

John

----
ProLine:  jarr@pro-micol
Internet: jarr@pro-micol.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-micol!jarr
ARPA:     crash!pro-micol!jarr@nosc.mil

ricky@unitech.se (Rickard Osser) (02/28/91)

djpadz@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (David Jay Padzensky) writes:

>In <318@unitech.se> ricky@unitech.se (Rickard Osser) writes:

>>I need to buy a new memorycard for my GS, my old one isn't DMA compatible...

>>I need to know what DMA compatible cards there are wich use 1 Mb Simms, I've
>>got four megs left from uppgrading a Mac, so I want to use the with my GS

>The Applied Engineering GS-RAM, GS-RAM Plus, and GS-RAM Ultra are all
>DMA compatible to six megs.  Beyond that, I think there are some
>problems which can be alleviated by a DMA cable.

>--
>Dj Padzensky

Not mine, I bought it in 1986-87! Old roms probably, but I still need a card
for SIMMs.

Thanx anyway!

/Rickard.

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/03/91)

I have a Harris GS Sause, just got it yesterday.  I have a ROM 3 IIgs and I
tried to use GS Ram by Applied Engineering, (yuck)  this Harris works much
better.  With the SIMMs there is none of this which chips do I get, which
way do I put them in?  It very simple.  I have 4  256k SIMMS in so with the
MEG already in my computer and the new memory, I now have 2 meg....

ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
Internet: aford@pro-mansion
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (03/03/91)

In article <7798@crash.cts.com> aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
>I have a Harris GS Sause, just got it yesterday.  I have a ROM 3 IIgs and I
>tried to use GS Ram by Applied Engineering, (yuck)  this Harris works much
>better.  With the SIMMs there is none of this which chips do I get, which
>way do I put them in?  It very simple.  I have 4  256k SIMMS in so with the
>MEG already in my computer and the new memory, I now have 2 meg....

In what ways is it better? I have a GS Ram+ with 1 meg on board so far
with my Rom 03 that makes 2 also. No problems. Whats your point? I
didn't have any problems putting in my chips, and since its a "smart"
memory card, you don't need to put jumpers on it. Any intellegent
being *should* be able to figgure out how to plug chips in, and in the
owners manual there is a list of a half dozen chips you can use. You call
up marsh electronics, ask if they have them in stock, and buy them. NO
SWEAT. Now the advantage to using the SIMMS is that you can steal all
the memory out of the Mac on the table across from you, run some great
memory intensive programs, and tempt the Mac user to keep up...

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/04/91)

On Sat, 2 Mar 91 19:36:19 GMT Adam Ford said:

>I have a Harris GS Sause, just got it yesterday.  I have a ROM 3 IIgs and I
>tried to use GS Ram by Applied Engineering, (yuck)  this Harris works much
>better.  With the SIMMs there is none of this which chips do I get, which
>way do I put them in?  It very simple.  I have 4  256k SIMMS in so with the
>MEG already in my computer and the new memory, I now have 2 meg....

What's the maximum amount you can add to that card?  Is it DMA compatible?
and, does it support 1Mb, 2Mb, or 4Mb SIMMs?  OH!  What's the price on
that thing too (bare, and stocked).

>ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion
>Internet: aford@pro-mansion
>UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford
>ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (03/05/91)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
  [GSSauce stuff removed]
> What's the maximum amount you can add to that card?  Is it DMA compatible?
> and, does it support 1Mb, 2Mb, or 4Mb SIMMs?  OH!  What's the price on
> that thing too (bare, and stocked).

  Here's the answers to your questions:

  THe GSSauce will hold 4 Simms.  If you're using 1 Meg simms, then
that comes up to 4 Megs (I'll leave the 256K answer as an exercise to
the reader :-).  Yes, it's DMA compatible.  Unfortunately, I think
it'll only take 256K SIMMs and 1 Meg SIMMs.  I kinda wish it'd take
the 4 meggers.  Price?  Well, I think they're about $75 or $80 for an
empty card.  You can buy 8 bit x 1 Meg 80ns SIMMs for about $38 from
Chip Merchant.  It runs nice and cool, too.  Cute little board...  I
love it.

>   Michael J. Quinn
>   University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
>   BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm
>   pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

		-Greg T.

^ Any resemblance between the above   | ARPANet : gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu ^
^ views and those of my employer, my  |                                ^
^ terminal, or the view out my window |                                ^
^ are purely coincidental.            | Bitnet : R746GT0T@VB           ^

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (03/05/91)

In article <sbohXWG00Vo9J2xcIS@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>  [GSSauce stuff removed]

>  THe GSSauce will hold 4 Simms.  If you're using 1 Meg simms, then
>that comes up to 4 Megs (I'll leave the 256K answer as an exercise to
>the reader :-).  Yes, it's DMA compatible.  Unfortunately, I think
>it'll only take 256K SIMMs and 1 Meg SIMMs.  I kinda wish it'd take
>the 4 meggers.  Price?  Well, I think they're about $75 or $80 for an
>empty card.  You can buy 8 bit x 1 Meg 80ns SIMMs for about $38 from
>Chip Merchant.  It runs nice and cool, too.  Cute little board...  I
>love it.

The other alternative is the Octoram card for around $40 more.  It will
hold up to 8 1 meg SIMMs.  4 megs of which are DMA compatible.  As many
have pointed out to me, if you have the Apple High Speed SCSI, all 8
megs are DMA.

Make sure that the dealer you buy it from has them in stock.  I'm still
waiting for one I ordered 3 weeks ago from a company that has already
received many complaints posted about it on the Net.

>>   Michael J. Quinn

		-Greg T.

-Scott

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (03/06/91)

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:
> The other alternative is the Octoram card for around $40 more.  It will
> hold up to 8 1 meg SIMMs.  4 megs of which are DMA compatible.  As many
> have pointed out to me, if you have the Apple High Speed SCSI, all 8
> megs are DMA.

  Uuuh, I don't think so.  I believe only the first 4 banks on the
card are DMA.  So if you're using 1 Meg SIMMs, you'll have 4 Megs DMA,
but if you're using 256K SIMMs (why would you?), you'd only have 1 Meg
DMA...

> Make sure that the dealer you buy it from has them in stock.  I'm still
> waiting for one I ordered 3 weeks ago from a company that has already
> received many complaints posted about it on the Net.

  Another uuh here...  Didn't MDIdeas go the way of the dodo?  Didn't
MDIdeas make it?  Did someone take it over when MDI went bye-bye?

>-Scott
>
> --
> =  R. Scott Henderson                  =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
> =  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =
> =  scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu             =   my own damned fault.              =
> =  Apple II Forever!                   =              -Jimmy Buffet          =

		-Greg T.

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/06/91)

I purchased mine through Team Electronics of Mankato.  It came with 4 256k
SIMMs and cost $100.  It has a LIFETIME warrenty on BOTH the SIMMS and the
card.  I don't know what DMA is, but it supports 256k and 1 Meg SIMMS,
totalling 4 meg.  I have seen the 1 meg SIMMS here for $60.  It's
compatible with the IIGS ONLY, but it works with System 5.04 (I haven't had
any crashes since I purchased it) and should work with older systems, but I
have tried them....

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar5.063335.13398@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:
>The other alternative is the Octoram card for around $40 more.  It will
>hold up to 8 1 meg SIMMs.  4 megs of which are DMA compatible.  As many
>have pointed out to me, if you have the Apple High Speed SCSI, all 8
>megs are DMA.

I have an 8MB OctoRAM and Apple's High-Speed SCSI card, as well as TWGS
and FPE, all of which are fussy about DMA.  The true story is that only
the first 4 (of 8 total) SIMMs on the OctoRAM properly support DMA (due
to an inherent IIGS design problem, not the OctoRAM's fault).  The High-
Speed SCSI Card detects when there is an attempt to transfer data to/from
addresses above 4MB, and uses programmed I/O instead of DMA for those
cases.  This does NOT help when you use 8 256KB SIMMs in your OctoRAM,
but it does when you use 8 1MB SIMMs.  Another thing to worry about is
that the Applied Engineering TransWarp/GS requires the latest PAL chips
(TWGS-2B I think is the critical one) to work right with DMA devices, and
both that PAL AND a TWGS hardware mod (lifting pin 1 of U22 as I recall)
to work with Innovative Systems' FPE floating-point accelerator card.

I will say that when one finally gets all this equipment working together
it makes for a very nice set-up.  (I also recommend configuring the upper
4MB as a RAM disk, to avoid ANY opportunity for DMA problems.)

>Make sure that the dealer you buy it from has them in stock.

Especially since the company that originally manufactured them (MDIdeas)
has gone out of business.  The OctoRAM's designer has been looking for
another manufacturer.

Kapffer@INFORMATIK.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE (03/22/91)

>I have an 8MB OctoRAM and Apple's High-Speed SCSI card, as well as TWGS
>and FPE, all of which are fussy about DMA.  The true story is that only
>the first 4 (of 8 total) SIMMs on the OctoRAM properly support DMA (due
>to an inherent IIGS design problem, not the OctoRAM's fault).  The High-
>Speed SCSI Card detects when there is an attempt to transfer data to/from
>addresses above 4MB, and uses programmed I/O instead of DMA for those
>cases.  [...]

Does that mean that the DMA compatiblity of AE's 6MByte RAM card (attained
by performing its own address decoding) is of no use in combination with
Apple's DMA SCSI card ?

__
                        M a t t h i a s   K a p f f e r

email:  Kapffer@Informatik.Mathematik.Uni-Mainz.DE

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/22/91)

Kapffer@INFORMATIK.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE writes:

>>to an inherent IIGS design problem, not the OctoRAM's fault).  The High-
>>Speed SCSI Card detects when there is an attempt to transfer data to/from
>>addresses above 4MB, and uses programmed I/O instead of DMA for those

>Does that mean that the DMA compatiblity of AE's 6MByte RAM card (attained
>by performing its own address decoding) is of no use in combination with
>Apple's DMA SCSI card ?

That's correct. This is one of those little things that Apple does to 'help'
third party vendors. I don't like it either, but then I don't expect to go
above 2.25 meg anytime soon with my GS Sauce and RAMFast, so it's not a big
concern of mine...

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/23/91)

In article <9103221118.AA03241@Informatik.Mathematik.Uni-Mainz.DE> Kapffer@INFORMATIK.MATHEMATIK.UNI-MAINZ.DE writes:
>Does that mean that the DMA compatiblity of AE's 6MByte RAM card (attained
>by performing its own address decoding) is of no use in combination with
>Apple's DMA SCSI card ?

No, but it does mean that Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card will not use DMA
when transferring data between the SCSI bus and the upper 2MB of your RAM.
(That is a rather unlikely case anyway.)  The only effect should be
somewhat slower SCSI I/O on rare occasions.

In article <1991Mar22.142322.27274@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>That's correct. This is one of those little things that Apple does to 'help'
>third party vendors. I don't like it either, but then I don't expect to go
>above 2.25 meg anytime soon with my GS Sauce and RAMFast, so it's not a big
>concern of mine...

Oh, come on!  Actually this feature of the High-Speed SCSI Card was
a deliberate AID to owners of memory cards such as the OctoRAM, not
as you imply something that gets in the way.  In fact, any IIGS RAM
configuration in excess of 4MB violates Apple specifications.  It
was thoughtful of MattG to help out those of us who nonetheless have
configured our systems with 8MB of RAM.