[comp.sys.apple2] DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR GS, I plead you!

In article <387.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>        I'm going to college soon (next year) and am worried about my
>computer setup. I plan to lug my GS along with me, but am worried about
>compatibility with the school's systems, which probably are Macintoshes. So
>unless that damned Duet card (CirTech, are you listening?) comes out, I
>might have to switch over to the Mac world. Or (GASP!!) IBM.

	Oh come on. I am a senior computer engineering student and have
had my IIGS since before I started college... Basically -everyone-
on ucscb (the computer system where students/faculty/etc can get free
public accounts) knows me as the "Apple II fanatic"...

	I see no logical reason why you would EVER need to switch to those
computers.. The only thing I use Macs for on campus is word processing
(they are like 512K Macs which SUCK, but I don't have a good GS word
processor... Are any as good as WORD for the Mac? Even though on these
Macs I have to switch disks a lot and it's slow, I ---really--- like Word!)
I use these '386s on campus for terminals (admittedly since they're
directly connected to the net, they're pretty cool since they run Xenix and
they have those neat "alt-windows" things so I can have multiple-logins
at once)...

	I see no reason to switch though... I either use machines on
campus when I have to or use my GS at home... If you get a modem (2400
AT LEAST.. 9600s are cheap enough nowadays to seriously consider one.. You
will be disappointed with anything less than 2400, and will get sick of
2400 after a while.. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN GET GREAT GS SOFTWARE over
the net!), you can log into all of your school computers, etc.

	So basically I think it's a BOGUS argument to say you should
switch to another computer... You have ORCA/C.. If you -need- speed, get
a Zip GS. End of argument.. (heh heh)
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me>

meekins@apple.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) (03/18/91)

In article <13519@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <387.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:

<Whole bunch of stuff about selling IIgs' deleted>

A lot of people are getting some pretty warped ideas. I've some similar trends
on some local bulletin boards. Phrases such as "Oh I <think> Apple might be
not making the //e anymore so I'm going to go buy an IBM." I took a Logic
class once, and somehow that has to be fallacious argument. For example,
I own a Buick Century; Buick quit making it but I didn't go buy a Ford
the next day. The car fit my needs. It does what I want it to do. Just
like my Apple II. These people used there Apple up until they heard a
rumor, so they must have been using the computer until then, so why is it
that it suddenly does't do what you need as soon as you hear a <rumor>.
This doesn't make a d*mn bit of sense! I've never seen a bigger bunch of
wimps in my life. If the II never did fit your needs, then why did you
have it this long? Otherwise, why does it suddenly not fit your needs?
Just remember, a large number of these <rumors> come from Mac users who
don't want Apple spending money on the II.

--
+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (03/18/91)

In <97282@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> meekins@apple.cis.ohio-state.edu (timothy lee meekins) writes:

>In article <13519@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>
>>In article <387.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:

><Whole bunch of stuff about selling IIgs' deleted>

>A lot of people are getting some pretty warped ideas. I've some similar trends
>on some local bulletin boards. Phrases such as "Oh I <think> Apple might be
>not making the //e anymore so I'm going to go buy an IBM." I took a Logic
>class once, and somehow that has to be fallacious argument. For example,
>I own a Buick Century; Buick quit making it but I didn't go buy a Ford
>the next day. The car fit my needs. It does what I want it to do. Just
>like my Apple II. These people used there Apple up until they heard a
>rumor, so they must have been using the computer until then, so why is it
>that it suddenly does't do what you need as soon as you hear a <rumor>.
>This doesn't make a d*mn bit of sense! I've never seen a bigger bunch of
>wimps in my life. If the II never did fit your needs, then why did you
>have it this long? Otherwise, why does it suddenly not fit your needs?
>Just remember, a large number of these <rumors> come from Mac users who
>don't want Apple spending money on the II.

>|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|
>|>   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu <<>>   8372 Morris Rd.     <<>>  Forever!  <|
>|\   timm@pro-tcc.cts.com       <<>>   Hilliard, OH 43026  <<>>            /|

Tim, you don't know how much I appreciate every word you have said above..

It is the most logical statement I have seen in a long time, and you said
it in better words than I have in the past used, but which lead to the
same conclusion..

Bottom line, if it does what you bought it to do, it will continue to do so
current model or not..

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |                         | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/18/91)

On Sun, 17 Mar 91 16:39:10 GMT timothy lee meekins said:

>A lot of people are getting some pretty warped ideas. I've some similar trends
>on some local bulletin boards. Phrases such as "Oh I <think> Apple might be
>not making the //e anymore so I'm going to go buy an IBM." I took a Logic
>class once, and somehow that has to be fallacious argument. For example,
>I own a Buick Century; Buick quit making it but I didn't go buy a Ford
>the next day. The car fit my needs. It does what I want it to do. Just
>like my Apple II. These people used there Apple up until they heard a
>rumor, so they must have been using the computer until then, so why is it
>that it suddenly does't do what you need as soon as you hear a <rumor>.
>This doesn't make a d*mn bit of sense! I've never seen a bigger bunch of
>wimps in my life. If the II never did fit your needs, then why did you
>have it this long? Otherwise, why does it suddenly not fit your needs?
>Just remember, a large number of these <rumors> come from Mac users who
>don't want Apple spending money on the II.

When I got my first computer (Franklin Ace 1000--Apple II+ compatible) in
1982, it 'fit my needs' up to as much as I could expect for the price and the
technology of the time.  Times change, my needs change, technology and COST
of technology are always changing at indirectly proportional rates.  What
suited my needs in 1982 won't suit my needs in 1991.  What suits my needs in
1991 won't suit my needs in 2000.  Actually, no computer can fully support
my needs.  I'll probably never see that computer in my lifetime, but for
today, I need what's most advanced and economically feasible for me.  I
need a computer that I can learn from and learn skills I'll need when I
eventually go out and get a real job after I graduate.  If the computer I
have now, will be supported in the future AND at reasonable prices AND
is technologically comparable to other machines on the market, then I
have nothing to worry about.  If, on the other hand, it stagnates and is
not supported, I have a serious problem.

>--
>+---------------------------S-U-P-P-O-R-T-----------------------------------+
>|/ Tim Meekins                  <<>> Snail Mail:           <<>>  Apple II  \|
>|>   meekins@cis.ohio-state.edu <<>>   8372 Morris Rd.     <<>>  Forever!  <|
>|\   timm@pro-tcc.cts.com       <<>>   Hilliard, OH 43026  <<>>            /|

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (03/22/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <387.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>>        I'm going to college soon (next year) and am worried about my
>>computer setup. I plan to lug my GS along with me, but am worried about
>>compatibility with the school's systems, which probably are Macintoshes. So
>>unless that damned Duet card (CirTech, are you listening?) comes out, I
>>might have to switch over to the Mac world. Or (GASP!!) IBM.
>
>	Oh come on. I am a senior computer engineering student and have
>had my IIGS since before I started college... Basically -everyone-
>on ucscb (the computer system where students/faculty/etc can get free
>public accounts) knows me as the "Apple II fanatic"...

I managed in University (University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada) quite nicely
with my Apple IIgs... never ONCE needed a Macintosh (sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry) or
an MS-DOS machine. I wasn't in Engineering though. Friends of mine in
Engineering more-or-less NEED an MS-DOS machine because that's where the
Engineering applications are.  For a II owner, a PCT might be a solution, but
for people buying something new, a Clone is better.... and MUCH better than a
Mac... considering the installed userbase.

While you have your Apple IIgs... use it... love it... but if a man in a blue
suit offers you some Mac... just say NO!

UUCP: lsuc!graham!pnet91!sb
INET: sb@pnet91.cts.com

j0p7771@sigma.tamu.edu (PEREZ, JASON) (03/23/91)

In article <597@generic.UUCP>, sb@pnet91.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes...
>unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>
>>In article <387.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>>>        I'm going to college soon (next year) and am worried about my
...stuff deleted

>an MS-DOS machine. I wasn't in Engineering though. Friends of mine in
>Engineering more-or-less NEED an MS-DOS machine because that's where the

	I've managed for about 4 years with my GS and I'm an Electrical
Engineering major.  Most of the stuff I do is lab reports, which I use AWGS,
and then use the campus Laserwriters for printouts.  For serious engineering
work, I use the campus mainframes/workstations, like SPICE and VLSI CAD
programs.  Any home computer is probably not going to be able to do these
very well, be it apple //,mac,ibm,etc.  Only once have i had to use a program
that I had to run on an ibm/mac, because the brain-dead publishers only made
it for those computers, but i have a PCT for such purposes.

Bitnet  : J0P7771@TAMSIGMA              |    "Frodo Lives !!"
Internet: J0P7771@sigma.tamu.edu        |    "Don't have a cow man!
	  J0P7771@venus.tamu.edu              Jason Perez