[comp.sys.apple2] Non-standard characters

mcgovern@handel.cs.colostate.edu (michael sea mcgovern) (03/12/91)

I have looked in all of the books that I have, and still can't figure
out how to generate mousetext and other non-standard characters.  What I
mean by non-standard characters are those like the copy-right symbol and
the accented vowels that are built into the geneva font for instance.
If it makes any difference I would like to use these characters in
AppleWorks GS.  I would like to know how to do mousetext from Basic, and
in Prodos 8 programs.  Thanks in advance, since my mail almost always
bounces.  Later.

!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!
!    Mike McGovern         Internet:  mcgovern@handel.cs.colostate.edu        !
!    260 W.Prospect #105                                                      !
!    Fort Collins, CO  80526           (303) 498-8237                         !

giovin@ecs.umass.edu (03/15/91)

In article <13491@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, mcgovern@handel.cs.colostate.edu (michael sea mcgovern) writes:
> I have looked in all of the books that I have, and still can't figure
> out how to generate mousetext and other non-standard characters.  What I
> mean by non-standard characters are those like the copy-right symbol and
> the accented vowels that are built into the geneva font for instance.
> If it makes any difference I would like to use these characters in
> AppleWorks GS.  I would like to know how to do mousetext from Basic, and
> in Prodos 8 programs.  Thanks in advance, since my mail almost always
> bounces.  Later.

If you want TRUE mousetext characters (those that go onto the text screen)
I won't be able to help you out until next week when I can get a copy of
my manual on that stuff.  From Applework GS, however, you can hold down
option and type A,B,C,... to get those extra characters you mention (i.e.
copyright symbol).

Rocky

tabn9@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (03/24/91)

Replying to mcgovern@handel.cs.colostate.edu and giovin@ecs.umass.edu
concerning how to get Mousetext characters on the text screen using BASIC.

To get Mousetext characters, you must have the enhanced video feature.
Probably the IIgs would have it, my IIc+ has it.  The feature must be
activated by some sort of PR# command (PR#3 in my case since the 80-
character card is hooked up to theoretical slot 3.)  Once enhanced video
is on, use the PRINT CHR$(27) to turn on mousetext.  At that point, the
inverse of the characters A through Z and @,[,\,],^, and _ would be
in mousetext.  To show the mousetext, use INVERSE or PRINT CHR$(15)
(The CHR$(15) works with the enhanced video only.).  To turn off mousetext,
set video back to normal through NORMAL or PRINT CHR$(14), then turn off
the mousetext set by using PRINT CHR$(24).

REMEMBER, YOU MUST BE IN ENHANCED VIDEO MODE TO PRINT MOUSETEXT ON THE
SCREEN!!!  To deactivate enhanced video, use PRINT CHR$(21).

Other calls that are useful in enhanced video include:

     PRINT CHR$(17) to set line width to normal 40 characters per line
          while using enhanced video.
     PRINT CHR$(18) to set line width back to 80 characters (default for
          enhanced video)

I got this information from _Apple IIc User's Guide_ which might be
available in libraries (It is here at Iowa State!)

Hope this helps!!!

Tony Neyens, student at Iowa State University