[comp.sys.apple2] Bug in ProTerm 2.2?

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/19/91)

    A curious thing happened today with ProTerm 2.2.  I wasn't around when it
happened, and it's driving me crazy.  I started a massive upload of sampled
sound files to a local BBS this morning at 12:50 am.  The total size of the
upload is over 10 megabytes in about 60 files.  I expected to finish classes
in the afternoon to find the transfer completed.  Instead, the GS was sitting
at the Prosel-16 Main Menu with the screen blanker running!  Furthermore, it
seems the transfer was aborted partway through a 2.2-megabyte file (only about
1800K of it was transferred).  ZModem Batch was used to upload all files (this
is to an IBM-based system).  Two questions:  why was the transfer aborted, and
(more importantly) how did ProTerm quit to Prosel-16 by itself???

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/19/91)

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:

>    A curious thing happened today with ProTerm 2.2.  I wasn't around when it
>happened, and it's driving me crazy.  I started a massive upload of sampled
>sound files to a local BBS this morning at 12:50 am.  The total size of the
>upload is over 10 megabytes in about 60 files.  I expected to finish classes
>in the afternoon to find the transfer completed.  Instead, the GS was sitting
>at the Prosel-16 Main Menu with the screen blanker running!  Furthermore, it
>seems the transfer was aborted partway through a 2.2-megabyte file (only about
>1800K of it was transferred).  ZModem Batch was used to upload all files (this
>is to an IBM-based system).  Two questions:  why was the transfer aborted, and
>(more importantly) how did ProTerm quit to Prosel-16 by itself???

>Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
>U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
>Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

Well, it could be that the BBS you logged onto had a time limit, or, in the
midst of your download your U/D ratio fell below what was required for that
BBS.  On thing I noticed with ProTERM is that I was cut off from another
ProTERM after 90 mins.  That part about it dumping you back to ProSel is an
expected mystery.  One thought just occured to me.  The power may have been
cut off at your house (or wherever it is you live  apt/dorm whatever) and then
when it came back on it booted your HD (assuming you have one) and loaded up
ProSel! I bet THAT'S what happened.
| Move over Rover &  |Email Addresses: Kent Squires                       |
| let Jimi take over!|                Internet: kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu |
| -------------------|                 ProLine: kents@pro-apa             |
| I wouldn't do it   |_______   America OnLine: kents12                   |
| for all the farms in Cuba! |         FidoNet: 233/15  Kent Squires      |
|____________________________|____________________________

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar19.061541.15020@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) writes:
>taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) writes:
>

>>    A curious thing happened today with ProTerm 2.2.  I wasn't around when it
>>happened, and it's driving me crazy.  I started a massive upload of sampled
                                                            ^^^^^^

[rest of original article deleted]

>Well, it could be that the BBS you logged onto had a time limit, or, in the
>midst of your download your U/D ratio fell below what was required for that
>BBS.  On thing I noticed with ProTERM is that I was cut off from another

Note that he was uploading, not downloading... Most BBSs don't let you
d/l a file if you don't have enough time for it, but let you upload
whatever you want...

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/20/91)

From kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires):

> Well, it could be that the BBS you logged onto had a time limit, or, in
> the midst of your download your U/D ratio fell below what was required
> for that BBS.

    No, I was uploading the sound files (sending to the BBS), and it will not
log anyone off during a transfer.  My U/D ratio would have been improving with
time, not getting worse.  Anyhow, I think you've hit on the solution:

> One thought just occured to me.  The power may have been cut off at your
> house (or wherever it is you live  apt/dorm whatever) and then when it
> came back on it booted your HD (assuming you have one) and loaded up
> ProSel! I bet THAT'S what happened.

    Yes!  That must be it.  I don't have any digitial clocks in my room, but
I'll check with my roomate's.  The sysop said he didn't notice any errors
during the transfer.  It was as if the upload terminated normally, and I
logged off.  Thanks for the idea, for a while I thought there was some way to
control Proterm by remote...

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric) (03/20/91)

 .EDU>

Brian,
      It seems fairly obvious what problem you encountered while uploading your
absurdly huge file to the local BBS.  I have calculated that at a respectable
rate of 2400 bps, your 2.2 M (or 2,200,000 bytes) would have taken just a
little over 2 hours to upload (double that time at 1200, and 8 times at 300).
During this never-ending phone conversation with the computer at the other end,
It is highly likely that some sort of interference caused a disruption in the
transfer, Zmodem detected this, and interuppted your communications program.
For this reason, I doubt that this is an error in the software you speak of,
but rather an error in judgement on your part.  It would be prudent to break
this huge file you speak of into smaller parts so that you may reduce the
transmission time.  This would also be beneficial in the sense that if this
happened again, it would not require the entire time to re-send.  I hope this
is helful.

Eric...

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/20/91)

In article <9103192302.AA25755@apple.com> EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric) writes:

>For this reason, I doubt that this is an error in the software you speak of,
>but rather an error in judgement on your part.  It would be prudent to break
>this huge file you speak of into smaller parts so that you may reduce the

  Gee, ya know what?  If Proterm TRULY supported Zmodem like REAL telecom
packages do, he could have just restarted the transfer where it crapped
out, i.e., it IS an error on the software's part.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/20/91)

OK, so I misread the post.  But my theory on the power going out for a short
period of time still sounds like the most logical reason for the abortion.

EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric) (03/20/91)

Jawaid Bazyar,
     All telecommunications packages that I know of do attempt to re-send bad
packets.  Unless there is some physical reason that it cannot do a re-send, it
should (and most do) attempt this until they reach a preset limit on the number
of tries.  In any case, ProTerm should (I keep referring to ProTerm in a hypo-
thetical manner because I am not familiar with it) have returned a message to
the effect that it did have trouble sending a specific packet and terminated
its transmission due to this error.  Since Brian did not mention anything about
an error message, (this is an afterthought) I am inclined to believe the
failure was due to a power surge or spike, or (as I mentioned before) a tele-
phone interference of some sort (assuming that he does not have a dedicated
line guaranteed by the telephone company).  You must agree with me, however,
that the file was much too large to be sent via a 2400 bps modem from a
personal computer.  In closing, I would like to respond to your comment about a
"REAL modem program" .... We are talking about Apples....

ERIC....

In article <9103201526.AA07284@apple.com> EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric) writes:
>     All telecommunications packages that I know of do attempt to re-send bad
>packets.  Unless there is some physical reason that it cannot do a re-send, it
>should (and most do) attempt this until they reach a preset limit on the number
>of tries.  In any case, ProTerm should (I keep referring to ProTerm in a hypo-
>thetical manner because I am not familiar with it) have returned a message to
>the effect that it did have trouble sending a specific packet and terminated
>its transmission due to this error.

	According to my slight knowledge about Zmodem, you are incorrect
in your assumptions, because Zmodem does not conform to the "regular"
specifications of a modem transfer protocol.

	It just keeps blazing happily away whether or not there are errors.
It prints to the screen (or maybe a file in some implementations?) a list
of what blocks are in error...

	In non-brain-damaged versions of Zmodem (i.e. anything but ProTERM),
you can tell it to resend a bunch of blocks or resend from a specific
point on.

Now if I could only get my damn graphics project to work.. aaah
--
<unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me>

bazyar@chip (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/21/91)

In article <9103201526.AA07284@apple.com> EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric) writes:
>Jawaid Bazyar,
>     All telecommunications packages that I know of do attempt to re-send bad
>packets.
  I know that...
  Part of the _Z_modem specification is the ability to restart an aborted
transfer (whether due to power loss, phone line crap, or whatever) at the
point it left off.  A REAL implementation of Zmodem would have saved the
original poster 2.2megabytes of upload.

[reiterates possible causes of loss of transfer]
>personal computer.  In closing, I would like to respond to your comment about a
>"REAL modem program" .... We are talking about Apples....
   Yes, we are.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no decent telecom program
for any computer.  Every one I've seen sucks rocks in some way or other.
Proterm's big problem is the half-assed implementation of the transfer
protocols.  Not to mention no real GS support.
The other contender for the "least intolerable" comm program would be
Telix, for the IBM. Although it loses characters at 19,200 baud.
   All hail TelCom, saviour of the modem world.
   Coming soon to an FTP site near you.
--

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/21/91)

In article <9103201526.AA07284@apple.com> EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric) writes:
>Jawaid Bazyar,
>     All telecommunications packages that I know of do attempt to re-send bad
>packets.  Unless there is some physical reason that it cannot do a re-send, it
>should (and most do) attempt this until they reach a preset limit on the number
>of tries.  In any case, ProTerm should (I keep referring to ProTerm in a hypo-
>thetical manner because I am not familiar with it) have returned a message to
>the effect that it did have trouble sending a specific packet and terminated
>its transmission due to this error.  Since Brian did not mention anything about

I believe that Jawaid was referring to the fact that REAL Zmodem has
support for restarting aborted transfers. If you got 500K of a 1Meg
file, and the carrier got dropped, Zmodem *should* allow you to start
at the 500K mark, although Proterm doesn't let you do this. It's not
the same as retransmitting a bad packet...

>an error message, (this is an afterthought) I am inclined to believe the
>failure was due to a power surge or spike, or (as I mentioned before) a tele-
>phone interference of some sort (assuming that he does not have a dedicated
>line guaranteed by the telephone company).  You must agree with me, however,
>that the file was much too large to be sent via a 2400 bps modem from a

The power surge thing seems to be a very likely case. However, I
_think_ Brian said that he was transferring a couple of sound files,
not one big sound file (if he was transferring one big sound file, I'd
like to see it... It'd be very nice to get some 2-3 minute samples on
the GS).

>personal computer.  In closing, I would like to respond to your comment about a
>"REAL modem program" .... We are talking about Apples....

>ERIC....

What's that supposed to mean? Jawaid is working (hopefully!) on Telcom
GS, which sounds like it could be a REAL modem program...

--

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/21/91)

From EWNORT@WMVM1.BITNET (Eric):

> Brian,
>       It seems fairly obvious what problem you encountered while uploading
> your absurdly huge file to the local BBS.  I have calculated that at a
> respectable rate of 2400 bps, your 2.2 M (or 2,200,000 bytes) would have
> taken just a little over 2 hours to upload (double that time at 1200, and
> 8 times at 300). During this never-ending phone conversation with the
> computer at the other end, It is highly likely that some sort of
> interference caused a disruption in the transfer, Zmodem detected this,
> and interuppted your communications program.

    Thanks for you insight, but I did not mention that a couple of other files
close to 2 megs each were uploaded successfully.  There would have to be some
serious line noise to force ProTerm into giving up the transfer.  Even if that
were so, it does not explain how the GS was sitting back in Prosel-16 when I
checked on it later.

    Someone suggested that the power went out during the transfer, which of
course rebooted the computer.  That is in fact what happened.  I remember
there was a campus-wide blackout for about two minutes Monday morning (right
in the middle of a Calculus lecture...) and apparently it affected the power
to the residences as well.

    Speaking of interrupted transfers, does ProTerm 2.2 support ZModem crash
recovery?  I noticed a setting for ZRPOS in the Defaults menu.  Does that have
anything to do with it?

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

peterc@pro-micol.cts.com (Peter Cameron) (03/21/91)

I suspect the reason you ended up back in Prosel was that your machine was hit
by a power failure and rebooted.

drewr@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) (03/22/91)

Perhaps the BBS you uploaded didn't like the fact that you were uploading
10 megs of stuff.  I run a BBS and know that my machine cuts off at about 3
megs.  Talk to the sysop about it.

Drew

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/22/91)

From daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang):

> The power surge thing seems to be a very likely case. However, I
> _think_ Brian said that he was transferring a couple of sound files,
> not one big sound file (if he was transferring one big sound file,
> I'd like to see it... It'd be very nice to get some 2-3 minute
> samples on the GS).

    Among the five dozen-some sound files I uploaded to this particular place,
4 of them were over 800K (they were 2204K, 1988K, 1860K and 832K in length).
I asked the sysop if he had some utility which would join two files together
manually, and then I used Lister 2.1 to create a file which consisted only of
the unsent portion of the 2.2-meg file and uploaded that.  BTW, it's the
opening theme from Star Trek: the Next Generation @ 22 kHz.  Those three
multi-meg files are great for showing off LongPlay 2.0... ;-)

kjs39186@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kent Squires) (03/23/91)

drewr@hpcc01.HP.COM (Drew Rudman) writes:

>Perhaps the BBS you uploaded didn't like the fact that you were uploading
>10 megs of stuff.  I run a BBS and know that my machine cuts off at about 3
>megs.  Talk to the sysop about it.

>Drew

I think the majority of us agreed that it was some sort of power surge that
disconnected him due to the fact that it dumped him back to his program selector.

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (03/24/91)

>   All hail TelCom, saviour of the modem world.
>   Coming soon to an FTP site near you.

TelCom?  Ok, my ears are perked.  What kind of features does it have?
Especially, does it include text handling as good as ProTERM's?  I'm
sure we're ALL interested.
                /    _______________________________________________
 \             / /   ProLine:  pro-beagle!lhaider
  \\\' ,      / //      INET:  lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com
   \\\//,   _/ //,      UUCP:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider
    \_-//' /  //<,      ARPA:  crash!pro-beagle!lhaider@nosc.mil
      \ ///  <//`
      /  >>  \\\`__/_   The opinions expressed here belong to nobody!
     /,)-^>>_\`, \\\    (Anybody see nobody lately?)
     (/   \\ /\\\     -----------------------------------------------
         // _//\\\\
       ((` ((

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/25/91)

In article <30522.apple.net@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:

>>   All hail TelCom, saviour of the modem world.
>>   Coming soon to an FTP site near you.
>
>TelCom?  Ok, my ears are perked.  What kind of features does it have?
>Especially, does it include text handling as good as ProTERM's?  I'm
>sure we're ALL interested.

   Note that I've been working on this for a year and a half, so don't hold
your breath.  In planning my curriculum, the College of Engineering forgot
to leave me time for "big software projects".
   As far as features, we have:
  Emulations- VT100, VT52, Proterm Special, Apple II, and soon a split-
     screen 'chat' feature.
  Protocols- Currently supported are Xmodem and Ymodem, (all Apple
    varieties, in addition to the standard Unix/MSDOS are handled).
    As I speak I'm working on Zmodem.  All I can say is I'm really
    glad that Orca 1.2 is evidently at my house.
    Note that this is REAL Zmodem, in fact the very code that gets
    executed when you type 'rz' on your favorite Unix box.

Telcom has what I think is a nice interface, a good feel. Some people
disagree (Albert!) about aesthetics, but it's very usable. I hate to
sound like Brian "If you guys don't pay me I'll never make another game
again" Greenstone, but if I can't find a commercial publisher for this
it may never see the light of day.  Which means I hope to find one.
I won't go into detail in the remaining features because I'll get
overrun with mail now as it is- suffice it to say that Proterm cannot
compare to TelCom where growth potential is concerned.