[comp.sys.apple2] CopyIIPlus v. 9.1

bill@braille.uwo.ca (Bill Carss) (10/24/90)

Hi,

     I used to be a beta tester for Central Point software.
I was involved, quite extensively, in the beta testing
associated with release 9.1 of COPYIIPLUS for the Apple II.
I reported several difficulties with the program which
apparently no one else in the world seems to be having, so I
thought I would mention them here to see if anyone else is
having them.

1.   When copying files from sub-directory to sub-directory
     on my hard drive (a 10 meg ProFile), the program
     apparently had pointer problems because a 10 block file
     ended up being about three or four blocks.  This
     happened consistently when copying from SD to SD.

2.   Backing up such software as Bank Street Writer Plus and
     Crossword Magic was not possible i.e the copies did or
     do not work.

3.   The program seems to have some difficulty dealing with
     3.5 " disks and doesn't seem to know when disks are
     write protected and copies files anyway.

     The people at Central Point are, as far as they have
been telling me, totally unaware of anyone else having
these problems.  If you are experiencing problems like these
I would really appreciate hearing about it.  Actually,
better still, I would appreciate your letting Central Point
know about it at the following address:

Michelle Ballew
Central Point Software Inc.
9700 SW Capitol Hwy.
Portland, Or.
97219

(503) 690-8088

THANKS VERY MUCH.

BILL CARSS
bill@braille.uwo.ca  (please note the lower case)

A - mazing               //     //            ___
P - provocative         //     //          //    \\
P - enetrating         //     //          //      \\
L - imitless          //     //           ||||||||||
E - ducational       //     //            \\
                    //     //              \\ __ //
--

Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca       (Please Note the Lower case!!)

cdm@pro-freedom.cts.com (Carl Macdonald) (10/25/90)

Central Point Software has moved from the Capitol Hwy address about 2.5 years
ago. The new address is:
15220 NW Greenbrier Pkwy. #200
Beaverton, OR 97006

Carl MacDonald

DISCLAIMER: All opinions expressed here are my own, not those of my employer
            or anyone else, living or otherwise.

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!cdm
 ProLine: cdm@pro-freedom
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!cdm@nosc.mil
InterNet: cdm@pro-freedom.cts.com

bill@braille.uwo.ca (W.B. Carss) (03/23/91)

I just received CopyIIPlus v. 9.1 in the mail.  I used to be a beta tester for
Central Point Software up until about a year ago.  I was involved in the
enitial testing of the program for the version 9 series.  At that time I
reported that the program had difficulties copying files from within
subdirectories on my hard disk into other subdirectories on the hard disk.
Very simply for files of size larger than 10 blocks the program scrapped
from one to n blocks leaving the file with from one to ten blocks.  (I
hope that made snese.  Basicly the pointers used in the copy procedure
appear to be getting messed up so the program is copying the entire file
onto itself as opposed to appending subsequent portions.)

Anyway, I got the new version today (actually it isn't a new version) and
tried my standard subdirectory test:

1.  I created five new subdirectories on my hard drive as follows:

    ONE ----- TWO ------ THREE ------ FOUR

    FIVE

2.  I copied several files into SD Four with CIIP v 8.3 and one file
    into SD Three.

3.  I told the program to copy all files in SD Two into SD Five.

4.  Version 8.3 performed all of the above correctly.

5.  I scrapped all the subdirectories and repeated the complete procedure
    with version 9.1.

RESULTS

1.   Version 9.1 didn't even copy the files from other subdirectories
     into SD's three and four.

2.   By the time it got around to copying SD Three and Four into SD Five the
     largest file in the bunch was 10 blocks with several 1 and 2 block files
     where 50 and 60 block files once had been.

QUESTION
________

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE IN COMPUTER LAND (sorry about the free advertising) who
is experiencing this type of difficulty?  Please email me if you are.

I am interested in anyone who has had this problem, but specifically //e
users.

Thanks very much for your responses in advance.

--
Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca

georged@pro-harvest.cts.com (George Dybowski) (03/26/91)

I have a Quantum Prodrive 40S which was trashed by using CopyIIplus Ver.
9.1 This happened several times. I called Central Point Software and they
stated that the problem was fixed in Ver. 9.1  I have Ver. 5.5-->9.1
I gave up on CopyIIplus and now use Prosel-8.  I have a Laser128EX with the
new Apple Hight Speed SCSI card.