[comp.sys.apple2] The Apple Trade-Up Program

scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) (03/19/91)

I went to pick up the info for the trade up program, not because I
wanted a Mac, but I wanted to see just what Macintosh, Inc. (formerly
Apple Computer) thought that their machines are worth today.

Here is a list of some of the great "deals" that Apple wants to offer
us II users to get a Mac:

Apple IIe 128k CPU.............................$100
Apple IIe 5.25 Drive...........................$25
Apple IIe Unidisk 3.5..........................$35
Apple Monichrome Monitor IIe...................$25
Apple Color Computer Monitor IIe...............$50
Apple IIc CPU..................................$125
Apple IIc+ CPU.................................$150
Apple Monochrome Monitor IIc...................$25
Apple IIGS CPU (1 meg).........................$200
Apple RGB Monitor IIGS.........................$70
Apple IIGS 3.5 drive...........................$35
Apple Imagewriter I............................$50
Apple Imagewriter II...........................$100

This is what Apple thinks their own machines are worth!!!!!  Do you
realize that for the educators price of the Mac Classic, I could
buy everything listed on that list!?  I would have thought that Apple
would at least offer the blue book value for their equipment.  The IIc+
is barely 2 years old, and look how much it has depreciated in value
in the eyes of Apple.

But wait, theres more!  If the prices listed above weren't insulting enough,
get this...  If the items in question aren't in MINT condition, the trade in
values are subject to further reductions:

If your disk drive that you are trading in fails to insert, recognize or eject,
deduct $100 from the trade in value (since the IIGS 3.5 drive is only getting
me $35, does that mean I have to pay Apple $65 in additon to the drive for
trade in?)

If your computer requires "excessive" cleaning, deduct another $25.

The person who developed this marketing ploy should be shot on sight.

Apple has really set a new low for themselves this time.  Even the
Macintosh trade ins aren't getting 40% of what they are worth.

-Scott

--
=  R. Scott Henderson		       =  "Some people claim that there's a  =
=  University of Illinois              =   woman to blame, but I know it's   =

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (03/19/91)

In <1991Mar18.220124.22064@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson) writes:

>I went to pick up the info for the trade up program, not because I
>wanted a Mac, but I wanted to see just what Macintosh, Inc. (formerly
>Apple Computer) thought that their machines are worth today.
>Here is a list of some of the great "deals" that Apple wants to offer
>us II users to get a Mac:
[...]
>Apple IIGS CPU (1 meg).........................$200
>Apple RGB Monitor IIGS.........................$70
>Apple IIGS 3.5 drive...........................$35

Sounds to me as though someone should stand outside the room where they're
evaluating equipment and offer $205 for every GS that goes by.  Yeah, I could
use a ROM3...
    After all, if someone's stupid enough to abandon his GS, he deserves to
get rooked on it! :)

>This is what Apple thinks their own machines are worth!!!!!  Do you
[...]
>Apple has really set a new low for themselves this time.  Even the
>Macintosh trade ins aren't getting 40% of what they are worth.

I don't think this is truly how Apple values the machines; rather, I think it's
a clever ploy on the part of Apple or a reseller to sell a lot more (full-
priced, under-powered) machines and have a TON of surplus equipment it can sell
for much more than what it paid or donate for a full-value tax write-off.

Rob
--
Robert C. Knauerhase            University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
"I get my exercise acting as    Dept. of Computer Science, Gigabit Study Group

taob@pnet91.cts.com (Brian Tao) (03/20/91)

From scotth@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Henderson):

> Apple IIGS CPU (1 meg).........................$200
> Apple RGB Monitor IIGS.........................$70
> Apple IIGS 3.5 drive...........................$35
> Apple Imagewriter I............................$50
> Apple Imagewriter II...........................$100

    So at the same time, Apple is trying to sell us a GS CPU for $700, the
monitor for around $350, the 3.5" drive for $250 and an ImageWriter II printer
for clost to $500.  Someone should post Apple's product price listing right
beside that trade-in sheet and let customers make their own decision...

Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/21/91)

On Tue, 19 Mar 91 19:30:07 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>    So at the same time, Apple is trying to sell us a GS CPU for $700, the
>monitor for around $350, the 3.5" drive for $250 and an ImageWriter II printer
>for clost to $500.  Someone should post Apple's product price listing right
>beside that trade-in sheet and let customers make their own decision...

GS CPU = >$1000
GS RGB = ~$400
3.5" drive = ~$400  (where did you find $250?!?!, that's a great deal!
                     compared to what the retail is)
Imagewriter II = $599

>Brian T. Tao   *B-) |  t569taob@bluffs.scar.utoronto.ca  | "Though this be
>U of Metro Toronto  |               - or -               |  madness, yet there
>Scarberia, ON       |        taob@pnet91.cts.com         |  is method in 't."

  Michael J. Quinn
  University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/21/91)

I wonder if Apple Computer, Inc. is just doing that to prevent people from
SELLING their computer.  There is no way I would sell my computer for around
$300.  I'll admit I'd like to own a MAC LC, but I would also like to keep my
IIgs.  I talked to a dealer a while back and I asked him if he thought Apple
would discontinue the IIgs line, and go to IIc+ and MACs.  He said he didn't
think so, but then he heard about the MAC LC (this was before they came out)
and he said I should sell that peice of *hit (this is a dealer talking) go
with a MAC LC when it comes out.  He said the same thing about my old IIc.
After 7 years my IIc just wore out, so I got this fine machine.  I think
apple is afraid of losing the II line from people, so they droped the price
so low, so people wouldn't sell them.

+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                 |    E-Mail me for a good       |
|Internet: aford@pro-mansion                 |                               |
|UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford           |         Signature             |
|ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil  |                               |
|BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil|                               |
+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|           Maybe something here too         |  If it fits here there's room |
+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+

asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) (03/23/91)

        Or maybe they could have us GS owners stand next to the trade-in
guys and offer to buy the trade-ins for a little over what they get...what
is Apple going to do with the old II's anyway?

----
ProLine:  asong@pro-nbs
Internet: asong@pro-nbs.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-nbs!asong
ARPA:     crash!pro-nbs!asong@nosc.mil

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/25/91)

In article <530.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>... what is Apple going to do with the old II's anyway?

Obviously this would be an attempt to get Apple IIs out of circulation.
IBM used to deal with mainframes that had been traded in for "upgrades"
to their newest models by beating the trade-ins with sledgehammers.  My
guess is that they didn't want cheap alternatives around to compete
with their higher-priced products.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/25/91)

On Mon, 25 Mar 91 08:58:07 GMT Doug Gwyn said:
>In article <530.apple.a2.net@pro-nbs> asong@pro-nbs.cts.com (Andi Song) writes:
>>... what is Apple going to do with the old II's anyway?
>
>Obviously this would be an attempt to get Apple IIs out of circulation.
[stuff deleted]

But, is this a deal that Apple computer has put together, or is it just
a deal that THAT particular university is doing without Apple's knowledge?
No one here at our university that's affilliated with Apple Computer
knows anything about this.  Local Dealers around Chattanooga sometimes have
similar programs      THAT ONE STORE has put together and has nothing to
do with Apple, the Company.  Does anyone know about the University where
this original post originated?

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

certain@aesop.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Certain) (03/26/91)

I don't know how widespread the trade-in "deal" is, but they are offering it
here at UNC-CH as well.

Andrew Certain
certain@cs.unc.edu

seals@uncecs.edu (Larry W. Seals) (03/26/91)

I haven't followed this thread from the beginning, but I've read
enough to get the basic drift.  Last Friday we received a flyer from
UNC at Chapel Hill's student bookstore on the Apple trade-up.  It came
from the campus Ram Shop (the computer center at the bookstore) and
they were mentioned prominently throughout.  However, there was mention
of another party (a phone number to call) who would evaluate your rig
for trade-in value.  The other thing was that there was a time limit
involved for the program.

So I don't think it's a university specific program.

Larry Seals @ Trailing Edge Software - "Solving today's problems
                                        with yesterday's technology!"

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (03/26/91)

In article <9103251414.AA08243@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>But, is this a deal that Apple computer has put together, or is it just
>a deal that THAT particular university is doing without Apple's knowledge?
>No one here at our university that's affilliated with Apple Computer
>knows anything about this.  Local Dealers around Chattanooga sometimes have
>similar programs      THAT ONE STORE has put together and has nothing to
>do with Apple, the Company.  Does anyone know about the University where
>this original post originated?

	I posted what I had heard about the trade up offer.  When I
went home for break, I saw the actual brochure.  It is a JOINT Apple
and WEEG (U of Iowa's Computer Center) program.  The offer is for most
brands of pc's, which my friend that told me the info, assumed would
include Apple //'s. (why not?)

	The flyer said to pick up more info, which I didn't do, I'm
not interested in upgradng.  I don't know how much or what computers
they will accept though.  The only good thing was, it wasn't
exclusively a trade in your Apple // for any model mac.

 _______________________________________________ _______________
| Steve Chiang      Apple //gs Forever!         | Coming Soon:  |
|-----------------------------------------------|---------------|
| Columbia University in the Harlem area  :P    |  DreamGrafix: |

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/26/91)

On Tue, 26 Mar 91 08:13:35 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:

>	I posted what I had heard about the trade up offer.  When I
>went home for break, I saw the actual brochure.  It is a JOINT Apple
>and WEEG (U of Iowa's Computer Center) program.  The offer is for most
>brands of pc's, which my friend that told me the info, assumed would
>include Apple //'s. (why not?)

GREAT!  This changes things a great deal!  I doesn't look like they're
trying to de-value the Apple II (with THIS particular program, anyway).

>	The flyer said to pick up more info, which I didn't do, I'm
>not interested in upgradng.  I don't know how much or what computers
                   ^^^^^^^^
   Some of us don't really consider it 'UP'grading :)
   unless, of course, it's a hi-end mac.

>they will accept though.  The only good thing was, it wasn't
>exclusively a trade in your Apple // for any model mac.

TAKE NOT OF THIS PEOPLE!  IT'S A MAJOR DIFFERENCE THAN WHAT WE WERE ASSUMING.