[comp.sys.apple2] Copyrighting

gt1637a@prism.gatech.EDU (John Matus) (03/19/91)

I do a lot of programming on my spare time... does anybody know of
a good place to get my programs copyrighted in Atlanta, or is there
a place I should call outside of Georgia.... once I get them copyrighted
I'll send them up in comp.binaries.apple2...  Look for them in the
future.

By the way, how much does it cost???  <-- Important question.. College
students have almost no cash... at anytime.

--
John W Matus                                    Major EE
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt1637a

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/19/91)

In article <24613@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1637a@prism.gatech.EDU (John Matus) writes:
>[programs, wishes to copyright]
>By the way, how much does it cost???  <-- Important question.. College
>students have almost no cash... at anytime.

   $10.  Go to your local Federal Building (or call) and they can tell you
all about how to get the proper forms from the Copyright office in Washington
DC.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/19/91)

In article <24613@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1637a@prism.gatech.EDU (John Matus) writes:
>I do a lot of programming on my spare time... does anybody know of
>a good place to get my programs copyrighted in Atlanta, or is there
>a place I should call outside of Georgia.... once I get them copyrighted
>I'll send them up in comp.binaries.apple2...  Look for them in the
>future.
>By the way, how much does it cost???  <-- Important question.. College
>students have almost no cash... at anytime.

Your work is copyright simply by virtue of your creating it.
(It is recommended that you include an explicit copyright notice
near the beginning of each source file, e.g. "Copyright 1991 by
John Matus".)
At one time, you needed to file two copies of the work with the
Library of Congress, but that requirement is no longer in effect.

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/19/91)

Matus) writes:
>>[programs, wishes to copyright]
>>By the way, how much does it cost???  <-- Important question.. College
>>students have almost no cash... at anytime.
>
>   $10.  Go to your local Federal Building (or call) and they can tell you
>all about how to get the proper forms from the Copyright office in Washington
>DC.

Really? I thought that under some "new" (1975??) copyright law, programs (among
other things) were automatically copyrighted (or something like that)...
You have
to pay the US Patent office to register a trademark (the (r), not the (tm))
though.

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
>Senior/Computer Engineering |
>bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu          |"That's okay. I'm sure Mike's never heard
of K&R".
>   Apple II Forever!        |  (discussion about Orca/C)

David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six
UUCP: ..!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!daveh |       hours, or else your
America Online: DrWho29                  |       pizza is cold."

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (03/20/91)

In article <45795@ut-emx.uucp> daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>Really? I thought that under some "new" (1975??) copyright law, programs (among
>other things) were automatically copyrighted (or something like that)...
   Software is automatically copyrighted, but you can still register it at
the Copyright Office- a good idea if you're going commercial with your program.
$10 is nothing compared to the legal fees you'd have to pay in case of a
copyright "mixup".

--

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (03/27/91)

In article <15514@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <24613@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1637a@prism.gatech.EDU (John Matus) writes:
>>I do a lot of programming on my spare time... does anybody know of
>>a good place to get my programs copyrighted in Atlanta, or is there
>>a place I should call outside of Georgia.... once I get them copyrighted
>>I'll send them up in comp.binaries.apple2...  Look for them in the
>>future.
>>By the way, how much does it cost???  <-- Important question.. College
>>students have almost no cash... at anytime.
>
> Your work is copyright simply by virtue of your creating it.
> (It is recommended that you include an explicit copyright notice
> near the beginning of each source file, e.g. "Copyright 1991 by
> John Matus".)

I have also heard that through some loophole this isn't even enough. I
heard that you need to have the copyright symbol (c) in it.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/27/91)

In article <4415.27ef854d@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>In article <15514@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> Your work is copyright simply by virtue of your creating it.
>> (It is recommended that you include an explicit copyright notice
>> near the beginning of each source file, e.g. "Copyright 1991 by
>> John Matus".)
>
>I have also heard that through some loophole this isn't even enough. I
>heard that you need to have the copyright symbol (c) in it.

I kinda heard the opposite... the (c) isn't really a copyright symbol,
since the circle doesn't completely enclose the 'c', so saying "(c)
1991 A. Programmer" wouldn't work, but explicitly stating "Copyright
1991 A. Programmer" would be OK.

So, does anyone know of that's true or not?

fitzpatrick@obsess.enet.dec.com (Dave FitzPatrick) (03/28/91)

In article <46255@ut-emx.uucp>, daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes...
>In article <4415.27ef854d@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>>In article <15514@smoke.brl.mil>, gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>> Your work is copyright simply by virtue of your creating it.
>>> (It is recommended that you include an explicit copyright notice
>>> near the beginning of each source file, e.g. "Copyright 1991 by
>>> John Matus".)
>>
>>I have also heard that through some loophole this isn't even enough. I
>>heard that you need to have the copyright symbol (c) in it.
>
>I kinda heard the opposite... the (c) isn't really a copyright symbol,
>since the circle doesn't completely enclose the 'c', so saying "(c)
>1991 A. Programmer" wouldn't work, but explicitly stating "Copyright
>1991 A. Programmer" would be OK.
>
>So, does anyone know of that's true or not?

My understanding is that for coverage in the US the word "copyright" can be
used.  The C in a circle is needed for coverage outside the US, as well.
And it must be a real C in a circle, not (c).  Now, there was a rumour that
this has changed recently in the case of ASCII documents (IE: electronic-only
distribution) but I have no verification of this.  And for the notice to be
legal, it must include the year and the name of the person or institution that
is the copyright holder.

For coverage in Latin America, the legend "All Rights Reserved" must also be
displayed.

Remember, a copyright notice is like a lock on your door.  It only keeps out
the honest folks.  It does show an attempt to protect your work, which carries
some legal weight in the event of an infringement.  But if you want to have
any hope of collecting damages, you must register the copyright.  At that,
proving damages in an infringement case is a very tough thing to do.  Usually
the best you end up with is a cease and desist order.

I am not a lawyer, but the above was from a lawyer who specializes in
electronic media copyright areas.  I was getting information about copyrights
for corporate video programs, but it applies to software, as well.

D=
--
   Dave FitzPatrick

(UUCP)       {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!exit26.enet.dec.com!fitzpatrick
(Internet)   fitzpatrick%exit26.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com
(BITNET)     fitzpatrick@exit26.enet.dec.com
(BIX)        dave.f   (co-moderator of the 'television' conference)
(US MAIL)    DEC, 12 Crosby Dr., Bedford, MA 01730

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (03/28/91)

In article <4415.27ef854d@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>I have also heard that through some loophole this isn't even enough. I
>heard that you need to have the copyright symbol (c) in it.

You must use either the word "Copyright" or a small C in a circle.
"(c)" is not valid.