[comp.sys.apple2] Unix like Shell for the Apple //'s?

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (03/26/91)

For my job for the University I use Apple //e and IIgs. What I would like
to know is if there are any Unix like shells for the Apple // line? I want
to be able to type "more filename.txt" and be able to look at a file.

Thanks.....

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (03/27/91)

In article <4392.27ee8b7e@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>For my job for the University I use Apple //e and IIgs. What I would like
>to know is if there are any Unix like shells for the Apple // line? I want
>to be able to type "more filename.txt" and be able to look at a file.

You could always buy the Byte Works Orca development system, which
includes a CLI. Then, at least for MORE, you could use Jawaid Bazyar's
excellent ShellStuff implementation of MORE.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (03/27/91)

Davex is a pretty decent UNIX-like shell for ProDOS.  It doesn't have
a "more" command as such, but you can alias "more" to the command
Davex uses ("pg"), which is basically the same as having "more" to
begin with.  I like it a lot; it serves as the program selector and
file-utilities package on my hard disk.

Scott Alfter-----------------------------_/_----------------------------
Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

bill@braille.uwo.ca (W.B. Carss) (03/27/91)

You might want to try DAVEX.

I have only seen it once so I can't tell you much about it except that it
looks like a UNIX shell and offers many of the standard commands we all know
and love.  I think it is a shareware program.
--
Bill Carss
bill@braille.uwo.ca

drees@plains.NoDak.edu (Steve Drees) (03/27/91)

How about Davex? It's an excellent Unix-like Shell and very affordable. ($20)

express@pro-grouch.cts.com (Jeff Goodman) (03/28/91)

I like Command.com by pinpoint publisher, or Davex which is shareware.  I
have Davex, but don't use it much.  Command.com is one of the more powerful
shells I have seen, it even makes my IBM friends site up and take a second
look.  I don't know how the program can be had.
But if you can find it I'm sure it would make you very happy.