[comp.sys.apple2] your opinion on RAM cards

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (03/28/91)

Well the AE cards should be DMA - you are not DMA compatable over 4 meg
anyhow, so your card (since you got a rom 03) should probably only be
3 meg.  Unless you use 1 meg as a RAM disk - but I don't know if that
would work or not - I'm guessing it would as the RAM disk is generated
in high memory leaving the lower 4 for DMA.  I have no ideas about the
Chinook card, but the CV Tech card seems to be a good deal from what
I've heard (back cover on your current GS+).  Basically get the cheapest
since they all work.  Just stay away from older brands.  All new ones
should be just fine.

--
===> Josef W. Wankerl, Technical Editor for GS+ Magazine
  BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET       | America Online:  JWankerl

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (03/28/91)

In article <9103280243.AA18346@apple.com> JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") writes:
>Well the AE cards should be DMA - you are not DMA compatable over 4 meg
>anyhow, so your card (since you got a rom 03) should probably only be
>3 meg.  Unless you use 1 meg as a RAM disk - but I don't know if that

It's my understanding that all motherboard RAM is DMA compatible, and
stuff in the memory expansion slot is DMA compat up to 4 megs, so on a
ROM 1, you can have a total of 4.25 Megs DMA, and on a Rom 3, you can
have 5.125 Megs DMA.

>would work or not - I'm guessing it would as the RAM disk is generated
>in high memory leaving the lower 4 for DMA.  I have no ideas about the

RAM disks are always put in high memory...

>===> Josef W. Wankerl, Technical Editor for GS+ Magazine
>  BITNET:  JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET       | America Online:  JWankerl
> ProLine:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus         |--------------------------------
>Internet:  jwankerl@pro-gsplus.cts.com | "I am a Viking"  -Y. Malmsteen

--
David Huang                              |   "Calzoni Pizza:
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu       |       Delivery in six