[comp.sys.apple2] More fire on the Sears Rumor

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (03/27/91)

In article <13078@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>APPLE TURNS TO NEW DISTRIBUTION STRATEGY

I don't know where this came from (yeah, BIX, I know), but I *SERIOUSLY*
doubt that this is true for two reasons:

>CUPERTINO, California--March 25, 1991--Apple Computer, Inc.
>announced today...

The only stuff we announced today (er, March 25th), was that Apple signed
some agreements to license our Data Access Language (DAL, also Dave Lyons'
initials) to Hewlett Packard.

>     "By moving away from selling our products through only the
>specialized computer stores, we hope to be able to make them more
>affordable while inviting the less computer literate and new users
>who may otherwise be intimidated at making a first-time purchase,"
>said Jean-Louis Gassee, president of Apple Products.

Bingo, BZZZZZT!  WRONG.

Jean-Louis Gassee no longer works for Apple (which is why i think this
press release is so much hogwash).
----

In summary:

Press release about Sears = bogus.
Jean-Louis Gassee = doesn't work at Apple.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas		  GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple Computer, Inc.  	 	      CompuServe: 70771,2615

I'm doing this on my own time, so I don't speak for Apple.

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU (03/28/91)

Geez, this sure looks official.  Whomever wrote this thing certainly
wasn't Apple.  Jean-Louis Gassee hasn't been President of Apple Products
for more than 6 *months*.  Whomever wrote this certainly wanted to
fan the fires of speculation....speculation that we can all do without.

Remember, if it didn't come from Applelink's Press Release bboard, always
be wary of its origin.

--Rick Ewing]
  Vanderbilt University

shawng@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Shawn Goodin) (03/29/91)

That press release appears to be bogus, if only because there appears to be
no such press release on applelink (apple edition).  The latest press
releases there appear to cover the new licensing agreements for DAL.  This
is according to a friend here in town with an applelink account.

Also, don't you think that such an announcement would have had significant
exposure in the Wall Street Journal?  Apple isn't that stupid....

Shawn

   UUCP:  ....!crash!pro-charlotte!shawng      | Pro-Charlotte - (704) 567-0029
   ARPA:  crash!pro-charlotte!shawng@nosc.mil  | 300-9600 baud (HST) 24 hrs/day
   INET:  shawng@pro-charlotte.cts.com         | Log in as "register"