[comp.sys.apple2] Re- AE RumorsMessage-ID- <1

Joe_Luzzi.FULLERTON_CC@QMBRIDGE.CALSTATE.EDU (Joe Luzzi) (03/27/91)

                                                               Time: 10:24 AM
                                                               Date: 12/21/90
Subject:  Re: AE RumorsMessage-ID: <1

Rumors are rumors and I won't believe the Apple II is dead until I see the
obituary.

I just wish Apple would give us a definite answer on their position concerning
the Apple II.  If they are gonna drop the machine, I wish they'd just say, "The
Apple II has been dropped."  Instead they're playing games, feeling the market
I guess to see if the Apple II is still profitable to them.  Apple's probably
making too much money off Apple II sales (gee image that :)) to just say it's
over.  If this is so, then Apple should continue to support the machine the way
it has been supported in the past by Steve the Woz man himself did.

Anyway, I still see companies out there like Vitesse, CVTech, Quality Computers
and others, doing a good job of supporting the Apple II.

Why is it that when Mac and Apple II products are sold by the same company, the
company is afraid to even say the "II" word?  Is it because the Apple II is
better than the Mac?  Why is that Apple and Applied Engineering?

Later...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Joe M. Luzzi

Internet: Joe@CSU.FULLERTON.EDU
BITNET:   LJMLUZZ@CALSTATE.EDU

GENIE : JM.LUZZI
AOL   : JMLUZZI

Please route all flames to /dev/null...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

stout@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Tim Stoutamore) (03/30/91)

Randy Hyde writes:
>The 65xxx family has always used a two-phase clock and a high performance
>bus interface.  X Mhz on a 65xxx is comparable to 2X Mhz on most other
>processors (at least, in terms of memory access times).  A 25Mhz 65c816
>(on the bus anyway) is comparable to a 80386 running at 50Mhz (please, no
>flames or jumping for joy, the performance of the two is not the same for
>reasons I'll soon get in to).  Indeed, the two-phase clock is assymmetrical,
>so memory access time is even faster than this.

You are mixing apples and oranges.  It is not correct to say the two-phase
clock is assymmetrical unless you are talking about a particular system.  You
are talking about a microprocessor that can be designed into a multitude of
systems.  The system provides the clock, not the microprocessor.  In addition,
although I am not familiar with the Apple II, the 65xxx systems that I am
familiar with do use a symmetrical clock.  I used to work at Rockwell as an
applications engineer.  All the apps notes and applications that I saw there,
and the systems that I have designed, use a symmetrical clock.