[comp.sys.apple2] Unix like Shell: Command.COM

edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) (03/30/91)

I have Davex and Command.COM.  I prefer Davex for several reasons.

        1. Davex is much more stable.  There are some pretty interesting
things which Command.COM can do, but the system as a whole seems like a
house of cards.  Often, you get sent to the monitor.  The is especially
true now that Command.COM is shareware ($35?).  Dave Sugar made up a
strange disk for the distribution, and there are some missing files, etc...

        2. Davex is much more Unix like.  With Command.COM, the computer
looks like an IBM.  While it is true the Command.COM inherits a good
scripting languages from MS-DOS (and Davex doesn't do the same from
Unix...), Davex is much more highly polished.  There is tons of online help
(70K compressed) for everything, while most of Command.COM's help is sparce
and slow in it's implementation.

        3. Davex is much better with wildcards.  In Command.COM, many of
the commands (including TYPE!) do not support wildcard pathnames: almost
all of Davex's do (and I have never missed it in any of the ones which lack
it.)

        4. While Command.COM forcibly turns your machine into a wanna-be
IBM machine, Davex makes you realize that you're using an Apple II (in a
very good way, that is...).

Command.COM is available on America Online and GEnie (I think).  Davex is
too, but not the latest version.  You can also get either from me.  For
Davex, I would prefer that you just email Dave Lyons at dlyons@apple.com
and ask about it (mention my name...).  He'll send it to you if you want to
pay; Otherwise, I might upload it to the binaries newsfeed (I hope I don't
have to...)

Edwin Howell Watkeys III

Internet: edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com  ProLine:  edwatkeys@pro-sol
UUCP:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys    ARPA:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys@nosc.mil