[comp.sys.apple2] LHG Lord High Giffer

In article <50784@apple.Apple.COM> shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) writes:
>> Todd Whitesel (I GOT THE NAME RIGHT TODD!) wrote this doubly quoted junk
>>I wrote LHG
>>originally in C, tested it in C, and then recoded the critical sections in
>>assembly. When I finally get a decent interface on the !@&*$@! thing you can
>>all see how well this method works.
>Want to elaborate a little?  What's LHG?  Some variant of LHA?

	First, what's LHA?

	LHG is Lord High Giffer, Todd Whitesel's (alleged!) GIF program
that blows the socks off of both SHRConvert [big deal, probably a GIF
converter fully in C would be faster than SHRConvert!] -and- Gif3200
(or whatever Jonah Stitch's program is called).

	I'm just kidding about the "alleged" part.. I just keep harping
at Todd, since I believe he originally said he'd release it a loooong time
ago, and I'm itchin' for some new GS programs, even if it's only a GIF
viewer I'll use once in a blue moon.

	Also, I spoke to Jason Harper a week or two ago and he said he
didn't care that SHRConvert was slow as molasses and didn't want to
get into the speed war... DAMN! I thought I could kinda 'rev him up'
to want to make a converter faster than Jonah or Todd.. Kind of a
hacker war... (analogous to the races to crack a new ware? Not that
there have been any new warezzz to crack in the GS world for a long time)

--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (03/28/91)

In article <13814@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	First, what's LHA?

LHARC... current version seems to be v2.10 or v2.11, and probably the most
efficient packer out there.  There has been a big deal made on
comp.sources.unix lately about Y and AP coding (yabba and all-prefixes,
although AP is patented by James Storer), but they aren't as efficient as
they would be if they had a Huffman or Shannon-Fano front end.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas		  GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple Computer, Inc.  	 	      CompuServe: 70771,2615

I'm doing this on my own time, so I don't speak for Apple.

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (03/31/91)

Unknown User) writes:

>Kind of a hacker war... (analogous to the races to crack a new ware? Not that
>there have been any new warezzz to crack in the GS world for a long time)

Wow...  A gnu wares kid on comp.sys.apple2.

In fact, the very same person who refused to help someone since he
_might_ have had a pirated copy of ProTERM.  Indeed.

-Declan