[comp.sys.apple2] Ejecting disks on a Unidisk 3.5

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (03/30/91)

Anyone know how to make a Unidisk 3.5" drive on an Apple //c eject the disk
from software ?

I'd be interested mainly in doing this from machine language, so if anyone
can send me source code (it shouldn't be long) I'd be a happy camper.

thanks,

- Jonathan
Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) (03/31/91)

This was covered in a recent A+/inCider magazine.  Check out the ones from
1991 (I forget which it could be...)

Edwin Howell Watkeys III

Internet: edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com  ProLine:  edwatkeys@pro-sol
UUCP:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys    ARPA:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys@nosc.mil
BitNET:   edwatkeys%pro-sol.cts.com@nosc.mil

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.151823.8462@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:
>Anyone know how to make a Unidisk 3.5" drive on an Apple //c eject the disk
>from software ?
>
>I'd be interested mainly in doing this from machine language, so if anyone
>can send me source code (it shouldn't be long) I'd be a happy camper.
>- Jonathan
>Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
>------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones

You need to make a SmartPort "Control" call to the right slot and unit
number; reference material includes the Apple IIgs Firmware Reference
Manual and the Apple II SmartPort Technical Notes.

Be careful doing an Eject through SmartPort under ProDOS 8--you should make
sure you're -not- talking to a pre-revision-C SCSI card, or make sure that
you -are- talking to a 3.5" drive.  The Eject subcall was originally defined
only for 3.5 drives, and to an *old* SCSI card it meant "Format"!  (If your
software works ONLY on an Apple IIc Plus, that isn't a problem.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.