[comp.sys.apple2] Sears

aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) (03/30/91)

I talked to a dealer and Sears.  They both said that apple will NOT send
the computers there.  (soorry. about the line noise)..

---
ProLine:  aford@pro-mansion                  | Please Support the Apple II
Internet: aford@pro-mansion                  |
UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford            | Line of computers.
ARPA:     crash!pro-mansion!aford@nosc.mil   |
BitNet:   aford%pro-mansion.cts.com@nosc.mil |

EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU (03/31/91)

All this chatter about selling Apple II computers through Sears makes me
think that this community has some really short memories about a few
things.

First of all, Apple IIs *have* been sold through department store channels
before.  If y'all remember back about 6 years ago, selling Apple //cs
through Macy's (and I think some other retailers) was tried as an
experiment one Christmas season.  The result was decent sales but a
support disaster.  The personnel at a department store were not trained
or qualified to answer the myriad of questions regarding their systems,
from hardware, software, peripherals and general problems dealing with
disks, ProDOS, etc.  Also, service for defective computers was also
crummy as reported back to Apple from consumers.  So the idea was quietly
axed, much to the delight of the dealer channel.

Second, when Sears Business Centers opened some years ago, Macs were
supposed to be in them, but Apple and Sears couldn't agree on some
things and the deal never happened, or if it did happen, it was very
short lived.

Just tryingto put a little reality check in this group.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt University

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/31/91)

On Sat, 30 Mar 91 15:16:08 GMT Adam Ford said:

>....................  (soorry. about the line noise)..

No problem.  No line noise made it accross.  Usually, line noise is just
local and the other computer doesn't 'see' it.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (04/01/91)

In <1D699479C06026C8@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu> EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU writes:
>First of all, Apple IIs *have* been sold through department store channels
>before.  If y'all remember back about 6 years ago, selling Apple //cs
>through Macy's (and I think some other retailers) was tried as an
>experiment one Christmas season.  The result was decent sales but a
>support disaster.  The personnel at a department store were not trained
>or qualified to answer the myriad of questions regarding their systems,
[snip]
>axed, much to the delight of the dealer channel.

Minor nit-pick here...  Department stores have never been allowed to sell
Apple computers; however, many or most of the upscale department stores lease
floorspace to other companies (B. Dalton [books] and Glenby [hair styling]
spring to mind).
    The Apple-authorized companies who operated out of Lazarus (Columbus,
Cincinnati, Indianapolis), Higbee's (Cleveland) and May Company (Cleveland)
are all gone.  I haven't seen any in Pennsylvania, Illinois, or Michigan in
the past several years, either.

    The reason I point this out is that dealers are required to have minimum
levels of stock and training (hard as that may be to believe).  Sears probably
_never_ will be "Apple authorized" because they'd have to have a repairman and
replacement parts in every store.  [I suppose Apple could redefine "authorized"
but that would open it up to everyone, not just Sears.]

Rob
--
Robert C. Knauerhase            University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
"I get my exercise acting as    Dept. of Computer Science, Gigabit Study Group

dgs@dvncnms.Devoncnms.Unisys.COM (Dave G. Sokolowsky) (04/02/91)

In article <1D699479C06026C8@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu> EWINGRA@CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU writes:
>...  If y'all remember back about 6 years ago, selling Apple //cs
>through Macy's (and I think some other retailers) was tried as an
>experiment one Christmas season.  The result was decent sales but a
>support disaster.

I remember.  We bought my wife's IIc from Macy's at a better price than she
could get through her school.  We were pleased with Macy's and the price, which
is more than I can say about the computer and Apple in general.