[comp.sys.apple2] Disk Utility

gachot@bon1.enet.dec.com (Take a RISC...) (03/29/91)

Hello,

        I'm looking for a program which can read MS-DOS 3"1/2 disk
        on a APPLE IIGS. I don't know if such program exist.

        I need it to transfert TXT files from MS-DOS disk to GS/OS -
Prodos disk.

        I know that such program exist to read MAC Disk on a IIGS.

        Thanks,

                ----- Erik.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (03/30/91)

.

On Fri, 29 Mar 91 08:23:22 GMT Take a RISC... said:

>        I'm looking for a program which can read MS-DOS 3"1/2 disk
>        on a APPLE IIGS. I don't know if such program exist.
>
>        I need it to transfert TXT files from MS-DOS disk to GS/OS -
>Prodos disk.
>
>        I know that such program exist to read MAC Disk on a IIGS.
>
>        Thanks,
>
>                ----- Erik.

It's not possible to read MS-DOS formatted disks with the Apple 3.5" 800k
drive conencted to the smartport.  If you have a PC Transporter w/ the
drive connected to it, then it's possible.

Disclaimer:  I'm basing this information on what I've heard 'experts' on
this net say.  According to them, you need a SWIM chip, or equivellent
to get the 3.5" drive to read MFM formatted disks.  That's why the PC
Transporter can read messy-dos disks with the Apple drive.  Now, if a
program were to be written to read ms-dos disks with the PCT setup FROM
PRODOS, that'd be something useful... or a utility that could read files
from the PCT HD partition file.

  BITNET--  mquinn@utcvm    <------------send files here
  pro-line-- mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (04/01/91)

The best way to transfer text files ms-dos to GS/OS-ProDos is most likely
via a null modem between the two computers.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

kpopple@imp.sim.es.com (Ken Poppleton) (04/02/91)

In article <9103292138.AA13784@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
> .
>  COM>
>
> On Fri, 29 Mar 91 08:23:22 GMT Take a RISC... said:
> >
> >        I'm looking for a program which can read MS-DOS 3"1/2 disk
> >        on a APPLE IIGS. I don't know if such program exist.
> >
> >        I need it to transfert TXT files from MS-DOS disk to GS/OS -
> >Prodos disk.
> >
> >        I know that such program exist to read MAC Disk on a IIGS.
> >
> >        Thanks,
> >
> >                ----- Erik.
>
> It's not possible to read MS-DOS formatted disks with the Apple 3.5" 800k
> drive conencted to the smartport.  If you have a PC Transporter w/ the
> drive connected to it, then it's possible.

CTI also sells a small disk controller card which costs much less than a PC
Transporter which allows the use of IBM-PC disk drives on an AppleII.  The
software for reading and writing IBM disks is not yet avaible from CTI.  I
expect to complete a package for this disk controller card to read and write
IBM-PC disks sometime in June or July.

The product from CTI is called the FDC-10, and sells for $69 (1990).  For
information

	Conversion Technology  (CTI)
	in the care of
	Patrick L. McLaughlin
	516 12th Ave
	Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
	801/364-4171

Ken Poppleton

The above reference is not a statement from Evans and Sutherland.  It is all
mine with mistakes and flaws by me (or others).