[comp.sys.apple2] Assembler

psonnek@pro-mansion.cts.com (Patrick Sonnek) (04/02/91)

I've sat here and listened to all this bunk about HLL's, and as a
professional programmer (Mainframes no less, not these "Plug in the wall
Toys!")  I thought I'ld put my two cents worth in.  I for one do not
advocate HLL's.  Why?

1.  The Langauges are not as flexable as AL.  I can do more with a few short
lines of code that alot of HLL's can do with a large program.  (Examples.  In
many, but not all, implementations of COBOL you cannot get the remainder from
a division problem, COBOL either drops it, or rounds it for you.)

2.  Being able to write programs faster in an HLL, is BULL!  I can write a
program in AL as fast, if not faster, than the HLL coders we have around
here.

A comment I would like to make concerning point 2.  The fault is not with
the HLL itself, but with many of the coders.  AL requires a greater knowledge
of how a computer works, than any HLL.  I am quite sure that many of HLL
programmers cannot understand, or are to lazy to try and understand the inner
workings of thier computer.  I've also got a real peave against 4GL's  They
claim that with a 4GL anyone can write a program, even an idiot.
unfortunately, that's what you get, programs written by idiots!

Oh yeah, on point 1, no commments on how COBOL is outdated, more new
development is being done in COBOL than any other language, including C.
COBOL (UGH!) is still Number 1! (Double UHG!!)

Send all flames to /dev/null

----
ProLine:  psonnek@pro-mansion          Pro-mansion: 507/726-6181
Internet: psonnek@pro-mansion.cts.com  Genie:       psonnek