[comp.sys.apple2] \ Anchor\ IIc? Please xplain...

edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) (03/28/91)

What is the term of endearment, and where did it come from?

Edwin Howell Watkeys III

Internet: edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com  ProLine:  edwatkeys@pro-sol
UUCP:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys    ARPA:     crash!pro-sol!edwatkeys@nosc.mil
BitNET:   edwatkeys%pro-sol.cts.com@nosc.mil

a.guillaume@trl.oz.au (andrew guillaume) (04/02/91)

In article <8240@crash.cts.com>, edwatkeys@pro-sol.cts.com (Ed Watkeys) writes:

> What is the term of endearment, and where did it come from?
>
> Edwin Howell Watkeys III

I first saw the term of endearment in this newsgroup, used when somebody
replied to a query about what where the various versions of the //c. I
immediately adopted the term, but even if I'm trying to upgrade my //c,
would never consider it as a "boat anchor" :-)

For those who want to point a finger :-), the first time I saw the term
was in Ralph Carpenter's post :

> The value you get back is the ROM version number.  The basic
> and most meaningful differences are:
>
>                FF      255     Original //c -- boat anchor
>                00      000     adds support for 3.5" Unidisk drives
>                03      003     adds expanded-RAM support
>                04      004     fixes bugs in expanded-RAM support
>                05      005     Apple //c+

Andrew Guillaume
(The proud owner of a soon-no-longer-boat-anchor //c :-)

Internet : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (04/03/91)

As I recall, Apple will upgrade (some) ][c motherboards for FREE, if you can
prove you need it.
For example you got a modem or a 3.5" UniDisk.
If I am wrong, please let me know.
PS Please, NO FLAMES!!

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil