[comp.sys.apple2] passing parameters

ag0514@leah.albany.edu (Andy Goldstein) (04/03/91)

I don't think that GSXedit will accept parameters.  You can launch the program
and then you'll have to load the file.
Andy Goldstein
Internet: ag0514@leah.albany.edu
  Bitnet: ag0514@albny1vx.bitnet
America Online: GOLDSTEIN

96975089@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU (Ken Smith) (04/03/91)

This has been bugging me for a while.

What I want to be able to do is double click on a text file icon and have
GSXEDIT startup and automatically load that file.  I used an icon editor
and set the application path for my text icon to GSXEDIT and it now starts
GSXEDIT when i double click, but won't load the text file.

Is what i'm asking for possible, or am i just wasting my time?

Thanks!

Ken Smith

  Internet:  96975089@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
             ksmith@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

  Bitnet:    96975089@WSUVM1

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (04/03/91)

In article <9104030000.AA12753@apple.com>,
96975089@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU (Ken Smith) writes:
> What I want to be able to do is double click on a text file icon and have
> GSXEDIT startup and automatically load that file.  I used an icon editor
> and set the application path for my text icon to GSXEDIT and it now starts
> GSXEDIT when i double click, but won't load the text file.
>
> Is what i'm asking for possible, or am i just wasting my time?

This is not currently possible with GSXEDIT.  It will be included (according
to the docs) in a future revision.  In order for a program to realize that
TXT files (or any other data files) have been clicked upon, two things must
exist:
   1) a finder icon file must exist that is properly edited to tell the
application that the file has been double-clicked so it can start the
application itself.  (i.e.  When you double-click on an AWGS file, the Finder
Starts AWGS)
   2) the program must be written to recognize that a file has been launched,
and not the application itself.  (i.e. the fact that 'myfile.awp' has been
double-clicked and not the application 'appleworks.gs'.)  The application must
check the Message Center function of the Tool Locator tool set to see if
any files are supposed to be opened and then the program goes and loads
them.

By modifying the icon file, you accomplished #1, but GSXEDIT is not yet written
to accomplish #2.  If you want to merely view files, a program called ABOUT
was posted to comp.binaries.apple2 recently.  I can mail it to you if you wish.
It allows you to double-click TXT or AWP files and you can view them
automatically.

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or