[comp.sys.apple2] Is there a piggyback board?

mcgu5464@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire) (03/18/91)

Now that I've finally convinced my school that there is more than enough
interest in the GSs to upgrade, they've gone ahead and done it. Unfortunately
we now have 5 Rom01s with fully populated Apple boards. Not what I wanted.
What I want to know is: Is there a "piggyback" style board that will put
2 of these together rather cheaply (they're REAL SOUR at Apple now...
I guess they just lost another customer...)? I don't mean a third party
memory board and 1 Apple board. I want to stick 2 apple boards together.
I can use this on our appletalk to print to the laser, and I can only
load 2 fonts and 1 AWGS module in 1.25 Meg, which is really annoying.
But they may buy a pigyback just to see if it works. Any names and
ADDRESSES? (& prices too, if you know! :-)

My other question is until I can talk them into letting me use the
fileshare from the Macs (lack of disk space) I'm forced to use an
unlimited # of 3.5s. Are there any patched drivers that will recognize
a third or more 3.5 in GSOS? I tried them all in line, but it only
saw the first 2. It would help if I could have fonts & das in one
(using a font/da loader) the system in another, and my program in a
third. A RAM disk is out because of the above mem limitations.

Thanks lots in advance. I'm really itching to put the GS to the
"power to be my best..." :-)

Dan Gross

supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) (03/22/91)

Dan,
  I also looked for a way to hook up two Apple cards - it wasn't in the
cards. What I settled for ( and may work out just fine) is the CV Tech
GS Memory Expansion card. This card will allow you to piggy-back an Apple
card (and some others - sorry, don't know which ones) and will, itslef,
take up to 4 Megs. DMA compatable for the first 4 megs, and will run in a 3
meg configuation (some cards don't like 3-megs). I just ordered one with 1
Meg on the board from Roger Coates. I saw an ad in Incider/A+ for this
combo for $159.95 and R.C. beat it by $10.95. He also told me that this was
a new re-working of the card - it's slimmer. Some people had experienced
some difficulty fitting the original card into the GS case without hitting
the side of the case and shorting out. This new revision is supposed to fix
the problem. I know three people in my local Computer club who have this
card - one was having said difficulty. Anyway, with the new version, this
should be fixed. I know this is specifically what you *didn't* ask for, but
you may want to reconsider. Another option might be to buy another,
third-party card and pool the chips from the Apple cards to help defray the
memory cost (but then you lose 256k/card).

Sam Upton

proline: pro-novapple!supton
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!supton
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!supton@nosc.mil
Internet: supton@pro-novapple.cts.com

chris.s@pro-starbase.cts.com (Christopher Sokolov) (03/31/91)

About your comments about the CV Tech memory card: I recently bought this
card, and am using it with my Rom 01 Apple (1 meg) memory board.  This is a
very nice card, although the computer shorted a few times during
installation.  Since then, everything has run perfectly.

-Christopher Sokolov
------

ProLine:  csokolov@pro-starbase    -or-    pro-starbase!tic-starport!csokolov
InterNet: csokolov@pro-starbase.cts.com    UUCP: ..crash!pro-starbase!csokolov
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-starbase!chris.s@nosc.mil  StarPort: csokolov@tic-starport

------

supton@pro-novapple.cts.com (Sam Upton) (04/04/91)

I'm glad you are having good luck with the CV Tech board, as I just
installed mine a couple of days ago. I got it from Roger Coats with 1 Meg
on the card - $149.00. I had to wait a week for it because CV Tech did a
re-working of the card to make it a slimmer profile. I had no shorts or
problems installing at all, and so far everything is rosey - I just wish I
had some dependible way to do a RAM test to make 100% sure (yeah - I'm a
worry-wart).