[comp.sys.apple2] Multitasking programs

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (04/01/91)

Coming soon : MultiSwitch GS !
----------------------------

MultiSwitch integrates the MultiSwitch program itself and MultiTask, a multi
applications/multi-tasks environment for the Apple II-GS.
ProgramUs functionalities :

Switches between GS/OS applications :

For instance, on a 1280Kb machine with system 5.0.4 it is possible to use at
the mean time Beagle Draw, Deluxe Paint and MultiScribe GS.

The configuration used during the tests was a 1280Kb GS equipped with a
TransWarp , a 40Mb SCSI hard Disk, a 20 Mb internal hard disk (Western Digital
compatible drive), an AppleDisk 3.5S running with GS/OS 5.0.4, 16 Kb GS/OS
cache, an accessory for the French keyboard translation and the two accessories
of MultiSwitch.

Times to switch between applications - from the moment the next application is
selected through the DA designed for this purpose to the moment the application
is ready for work - are as follow :

BeagleDraw and Deluxe Paint were loaded from a 800Kb disk and MultiScribe
from a 40Mb SCSI Seagate( hard disk.

BeagleDraw to Deluxe Paint : less than 3 seconds
Deluxe Paint to Beagle Draw : 4 seconds
Beagle Draw to MultiScribe : 3 seconds

another example using Prosel 16 :

BeagleDraw to Prosel 16 : less than 1 second

This is particularly noticeable with applications compatible with the Scrap
Manager. One can draw with Deluxe Paint and immediately include the work in a
stack created under HyperCard GS. Then write a text with BeagleWrite and fill a
TextField of the HyperCard stack very quickly.

One can launch text or graphic based applications, use shells designed for APW,
Merlin or Prosel without loading these applications.

It is possible to speed up GS/OS applications theoretically incompatible with
ExpressLoad.

Up to 15 applications may reside in the mean time in memory . This amount will
be increased in future releases.

MultiSwitch GS contains a completely new Prodos 8 which is able to run clean
Prodos programs without destroying the GS operating system. For instance it is
possible to use Copy //+ and Beagle FontEditor or Block Warden but when the
Quit option is selected one can launch immediately a GS/OS program loaded by
MultiSwitch.

The Prodos 8 applications are able to access the caching system of GS/OS,
resource forks or files and more than two volumes per slot and all the
enhancement of a 16 bits operating system. Up to 10 Prodos 8 applications may
be loaded through the P8 emulator.

Might an application not be compatible with the P8 emulator - name of this new
Prodos - then it is still possible to launch as formerly with a classic
launcher or it can be loaded in memory and switch (up to 8 Prodos 8
applications can reside at the same time in memory).

MultiSwitch GS protects GS/OS much better than the Finder does. Returning from
Prodos is very fast : 1 second for AppleWorks 8bits.

There is a direct access to AppleSoft programs and switch to Basic.System. The
break vector is redirected to this Basic under Prodos 8. Thus a crash is not
fatal.

Under GS/OS a CDA (QuickQuit) can be used to exit from System Death Errors,
ExpressLoad mistakes, crash in monitor, endless loops or bugs of a program.
MultiSwitch GS fixes system bugs like those affecting Startup Tools and NDAUs,
the tool setup, sfGETFILE I

It can install INITs (temporary or permanent), GS/OS drivers, CDAs and NDAs. It
is also possible to re-install INITs, like Debug.

For systems with few memory, one can use a Switcher Text or mini-launcher
(graphic 540 bytes).

MultiTask GS is a multi-application, multi-task environment for the Apple
II-GS.

Multi-task dialogs, inter-application communications, inter-processes
communication, multi-task shells, share of documents/commands between programs,
a powerful memory management with virtual memory capabilities are available.

The use of windows, dialogs and pulldown menus is far much easier than in the
single application mode. The system hides or shows the windows which belong to
the front end automatically, it handles controls in dialog.

The task manager is able to use multi-processor systems in many configurations
(two processors or more addressing the same memory space, processors on
expansion cards addressing their own memory) and - as soon as our AppleTalk
network will be in use - the Task Manager will use GSs connected under
AppleTalk.

MultiTasks is provided with four applications and their APW sources : two
samples for developers illustrating the use of dialog, shells, pipe-lines, I/O
managements, tasks management ; a program to display documentations (useful for
users groups) and a text processor (four texts, four clipboards, communication
with the shell).

*************************************

Approximative price: $80
Available: April 1991
Contact : BrainStorm Software
7, alle Murat - Bois Imprial
54630 Richarmnil
FRANCE
Fax: (33) 83-57-57-65
-------------------------------------

In article <21033120440843@lax.wisc.edu> THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU writes:
>Coming soon : MultiSwitch GS !
>----------------------------
>MultiSwitch integrates the MultiSwitch program itself and MultiTask, a multi
>applications/multi-tasks environment for the Apple II-GS.

	Could this be compared to MultiFinder? Even after reading the
description, I can't quite tell..

	Why don't you just put each application's name under the Apple
menu (like in MultiFinder)??

	Also, can you see the window for the other application underneath
the current window?
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (04/03/91)

Regarding all the hype about MultiSwitch GS: this is the best April Fool's
joke I've seen this year.  It had me going up to the description of the
"P8 emulator".  Didn't any of you guys notice the Date: line on this
message?!

-- jeff@pro-avalon

UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!jeff               | pro-avalon
ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!jeff@nosc.mil      | 619/632-7161, 2400, 81N
INET: jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com             | Leucadia, CA

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/04/91)

In article <28671.apple.net@pro-avalon> jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) writes:
>Regarding all the hype about MultiSwitch GS: this is the best April Fool's
>joke I've seen this year.  It had me going up to the description of the
>"P8 emulator".  Didn't any of you guys notice the Date: line on this
>message?!
>
>-- jeff@pro-avalon
>
>UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!jeff               | pro-avalon
>ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!jeff@nosc.mil      | 619/632-7161, 2400, 81N
>INET: jeff@pro-avalon.cts.com             | Leucadia, CA

The BrainStorm folks appear to be legitimate.  I have not seen their product,
but they first posted their press release to the AII.NEWS$ group address
on AppleLink several weeks ago, and I saw the letter Andy Nicholas received
from them months ago.

A P8 emulator is a very interesting idea; it could actually work, although I
don't see how it can be *guaranteed* to work, since P8 programs will wind
up doing device access behind the back of loaded GS/OS device drivers, and
this could cause major problems (the GS/OS rule is never to make SmartPort
calls behind a device driver's back).

I also wonder whether they're switching the bank 0 portion of GS/OS in and
out all the time, which would be tricky (for one thing, there's a heartbeat
interrupt down there that dispatches SIGNALs).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II System Software Engineer         |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/04/91)

In article <51124@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:
>A P8 emulator is a very interesting idea; it could actually work, although I
>don't see how it can be *guaranteed* to work, since P8 programs will wind
>up doing device access behind the back of loaded GS/OS device drivers, and
>this could cause major problems (the GS/OS rule is never to make SmartPort
>calls behind a device driver's back).

   I can see how that would cause a problem, with GS/OS drivers caching
and all. Maybe during the duration of the P8 program they just tell the
drivers to flush their caches. No problem then.

>I also wonder whether they're switching the bank 0 portion of GS/OS in and
>out all the time, which would be tricky (for one thing, there's a heartbeat
>interrupt down there that dispatches SIGNALs).

  Wouldn't it be possible to just have the P8 program somewhere in regular,
fast memory, since no P8 programs use long addressing (none should, although
I'm sure naughties like ProTerm do)?  All the short address references
would refer to the particular bank the program was in, and they could easily
hook their emulator into the MLI vector.  Doesn't seem to hard to me.

  This multiswitch appears to be real- most excellent.  We may order a copy
soon- if/when we (too poor to buy it alone) get it, we'll let ya know how
it is.
--
Jawaid Bazyar               |"I'm sure K&R have never heard of Mike."
Senior/Computer Engineering |

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/04/91)

 writes:
> Regarding all the hype about MultiSwitch GS: this is the best April Fool's
> joke I've seen this year.  It had me going up to the description of the
> "P8 emulator".  Didn't any of you guys notice the Date: line on this
> message?!

        Well just to add in my $.02, we on the Tailsman BBS, gave the FTA a
bunch of suggestions on software to write after they came out with the XMas
demo, and on the idea of doing a Muliti-tasking program, they stated that
they were not going to do one because another French group was already in the
process of making one. Now we get a press release from a French group with a
Multi-tasking program. Vaporware. Maybe, maybe not. But with Andy, Dave and
the FTA giving positive remarks about it, this could be it!

                                                        Hal

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr3.230600.538@m.cs.uiuc.edu> bazyar@cs.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) writes:
>[...]
>  Wouldn't it be possible to just have the P8 program somewhere in regular,
>fast memory, since no P8 programs use long addressing (none should, although
>I'm sure naughties like ProTerm do)?  All the short address references
>would refer to the particular bank the program was in, and they could easily
>hook their emulator into the MLI vector.  Doesn't seem to hard to me.

Problems:  To make absolute addressing refer to the same bank as the P8
program, you'd have to set the Bank register to that bank, but where do
you set the Direct Page register?  It's limited to bank zero.

And to run code with interrupts enabled outside of bank zero, you have
to put the 816 in Native mode, not emulation mode.  You can still leave
A/X/Y 8 bits wide, but there are subtle differences between native and
emulation modes.  And you'd get killed trying to call firmware or SmartPort
stuff from native mode & from outside bank zero.

And the code would miss the $C0xx softswitches.  (There's a hardware mode
to enable $C0xx access in *every* bank, but that wouldn't be too helpful.)