[comp.sys.apple2] Bad directory

JSDLG@ALASKA.BITNET ("Dixie Gustine") (04/03/91)

We have an apple lab in our elementary school that is networked with
a Mac SE with 1 meg of internal memory and a 20 meg hd.  The network
is Appleshare 2.0.1 which networks 25 stations (IIe's and gs'l) with
2 printers.

Our computer teacher is having trouble accessing the kids' files as
follows:  She get the:
        "Getting errors trying to read directory at
        Disk 1 (Slot 6)
        1.  Try again
        2.  Try a different location"
The files were created on AppleWorks 3.0; she is using 3.0 to try to
read them.  She has tried to read the files on more than one computer
in the lab and get the same results.  And, YES, the data disk *is* in
Disk 1 Slot 6.  She said the disk drive klunks when it tries to read
the data disk.

Can anyone tell us what is happening?  How can we repair the directory?

Dixie Gustine
jsdlg@alaska
jsdlg@acad1.alaska.edu

bigd@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Dave Adams) (04/06/91)

Are you using the Network version of Appleworks or a regular version?
Have you verified the disks that you are trying to read?
Big Dave Adams                |   There are many times in life when you
BigD@pro-gsplus.cts.com       |   just have to suck it up and drive on.
America Online: Theodorick    |   So quit sniveling.--SFC Canfield