[comp.sys.apple2] Kermit & Shareware questions

a.guillaume@trl.oz.au (andrew guillaume) (04/04/91)

G'day !

I have downloaded kermit (file apppro.bns) from watsun.cc.columbia.edu, and
tried to install it. I *did* read the help files, and run the README file,
which both told me to run install.kermit before starting. Did that and it
crashed into the monitor. Now there is a note in the README file that says
some //c's (I guess the good old boat-anchor :-) must have an upgrade to run
kermit 3.87. Is this true, or am I just doing something wrong ?
For those of you who want to know what exactly I did : binsciied the apppro.bns
file, unshrunk it to a 5.25" disk, "-"ed the README file (which is a sys file),
ran the startup (bas) file, and "-"ed the install.kermit file. Crash. Tried
it without running the startup file, to no avail.

Could anyone knowledgeable point me in the right direction ? Thanks in
advance. BTW, I didn't try the DOS3.3 version, and I would prefer the
ProDOS version anyway.

My second query relates to shareware fees. Here I am Down Under (Terra
Australis for those of you who wonder where it is :-), and would like
to use shareware programs, like Problock and other utilities. Has anybody,
user and author of shareware alike, got any ideas on how payment can be
made from outside US to US authors ? No personal cheques possible in my
case. Thanks for any info. I could always offer one (or two) nights bed and
breakfast in Melbourne in payment :-)

Andrew Guillaume

Internet : a.guillaume@trl.oz.au

phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Stephen Harker) (04/04/91)

In article <7240@munnari.oz.au>, a.guillaume@trl.oz.au (andrew guillaume) writes:
[Stuff about Kermit with the IIc deleted]
> My second query relates to shareware fees. Here I am Down Under (Terra
> Australis for those of you who wonder where it is :-), and would like
> to use shareware programs, like Problock and other utilities. Has anybody,
> user and author of shareware alike, got any ideas on how payment can be
> made from outside US to US authors ? No personal cheques possible in my
> case. Thanks for any info. I could always offer one (or two) nights bed and
> breakfast in Melbourne in payment :-)

	One solution that I recently heard of is to get $US banknotes at a
local bank and send them in your letter as payment.  Of course this is against
postal regulations or some such legal rubbish, and so I did not suggest it and
don't know anyone who does such an evil thing ;-)

--
Stephen Harker			phs172m@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University		Baloney baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey-SysAdmin) (04/06/91)

>My second query relates to shareware fees. Here I am Down Under (Terra
>Australis for those of you who wonder where it is :-), and would like
>to use shareware programs, like Problock and other utilities. Has anybody,
>user and author of shareware alike, got any ideas on how payment can be
>made from outside US to US authors ? No personal cheques possible in my
>case. Thanks for any info. I could always offer one (or two) nights bed and

I suggest International Postal Money orders.  One our overseas members asked
the same question in relation to paying dues.  He took out an International
Postal Money order.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |