[comp.sys.apple2] EXE files on gs - how to use them

gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) (04/03/91)

What are EXE files and how to you get them to do anything?  I downloaded
compress from one of the ftp site (was it wuarchive.wustl.edu?) and processed
it with binscii and shrinkit as usual.  I got a file that has a EXE file type,
and one the finder, it's "GS/OS Shell application" or something like that.
Double clicking it results in "no application found for this file blah blah"

can someone clear me up on this?  email would be fine.

Thanks

--
Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
   				 but when the heart lies, where is home?"

toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (04/06/91)

gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) writes:

>What are EXE files and how to you get them to do anything?

EXE's are 'Shell Applications' -- sort of like prodos commands, but they are
designed for IIgs 'controlling programs' (command shells). Some commercial
shells are Orca, APW, Pro-sel, ECP-16. One of these days I'm going to write
a tiny shell and put it in the public domain (there really should be one
included in the GS system software, because you can't run EXE's from basic).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (04/07/91)

... toddpw@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>... gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) writes:

>>What are EXE files and how to you get them to do anything?

>EXE's are 'Shell Applications' -- sort of like prodos commands, but they are
>designed for IIgs 'controlling programs' (command shells). Some commercial
>shells are Orca, APW, Pro-sel, ECP-16. One of these days I'm going to write
>a tiny shell and put it in the public domain (there really should be one
>included in the GS system software, because you can't run EXE's from basic).

Not to be confused with TXT files with a .EXE or .EXEC at the end, which
can be executed with the EXEC command in ProDOS (and DOS 3.3).

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Yeah, I know the original message said "EXE filetype", but I had to make a
slight clarification.

--
///   ____   \\\ "It says, `Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B, Hold 7, Telephone
| |/ /    \ \| |  Sanitizer, Second Class,' and a serial number." "A telephone
 \\_(\____/)_//                sanitizer?  A dead telephone sanitizer?"  "Best
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu       kind." "But what's he doing here?" "Not a lot."