[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II and Macintosh Sales

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/04/91)

In a previous article, Randy Hyde writes:

>> Concidering that there are 7 million Apple II's out there and only 2 million
>> macs, I don't think it would be too hard.

> I would like to see references for these numbers.  While I suspect Apple
> may have sold more Apple II systems than Macs (in total volume only), I'm
> pretty sure the Mac numbers are *much* higher than this.  Also, seven
> million Apple IIs seems kinda high.  They didn't hit one million units until
> around 1983 if memory serves me right.  Although the Apple IIgs has been
> the big (unit) sales leader for many Christmases since 1985, I suspect the
> Mac has been outselling (on a yearly basis) the last couple of years.
> Now that the Classic is out, I suspect you'll find that it becomes the
> big sales leader (they were  predicting a million of those alone, this year).
> I don't know how many Macs and Apple IIs have been sold.  But I suspect
> Apple has sold me than 2 million Macs since 1984.  I'd like to see where

        I've been following Apple II / Mac sales for about 3-4 years now,
although I do not yet know any solid numbers for this decade. Anyways.
Currently there are both over 6 million Macs and 6 million Apple II's. With the
volume of Macs being sold, I do not doubt that this should reach 7 million soon
{although Apple did a really brilliant move with the $250 million dollar
backlog on Mac's right now - 4 months for a Classic!}. However, Macs did not
always sell well and only about 20 months ago did Mac sales finally pass Apple
II sales. However its not really the II's fault when the position that Apple
has taken with the market the past 4 years is that its the ONLY computer that
it makes that you should buy. So when you open the Wall Street Journal, USA
Today, Mac Weekly, all you see is Macintosh. Not even a small word about its II
line. So no wonder why sales have dropped, no one knows about the II anymore.

	Despite this awesome advertising scheme that Apple did for the II line,
the IIGS has sold very well. Randy is right that it was the sales leader for
Chirstmases. Take the Christmas '88 where it sold 33,000 units to the home
market compared to only 13,000 for the Mac SE and onther 6,000 for the Mac
Plus. In fact, from 1986-1989 the IIGS accounted for over 20% of total UNIT
sales at Apple Co. But rather than seeing that they had something going here,
they guzzeled more money into the Mac, and made a big deal when it finally
passed Apple II sales. Well lets look at the current score. 6 million Apple
II's, 7 million macs, 70 million IBM/clones. Well guys, look who really won.

axi0349@isc.rit.edu (A.X. Ivasyuk ) (04/04/91)

In article <9A8D7DF7A020F033@MACALSTR.EDU> SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU writes:
>In a previous article, Randy Hyde writes:
>
>>> Concidering that there are 7 million Apple II's out there and only 2 million
>>> macs, I don't think it would be too hard.
>
>> I would like to see references for these numbers.  While I suspect Apple
>> may have sold more Apple II systems than Macs (in total volume only), I'm
>> pretty sure the Mac numbers are *much* higher than this.  Also, seven
>
>Well lets look at the current score. 6 million Apple
>II's, 7 million macs, 70 million IBM/clones. Well guys, look who really won.
>
>| Hal Bouma				| Send mail to: SHBoum@Macalstr.edu
>| Macalester College			| and 		SHBoum@Macalstr.Bitnet
>| GEnie: H.Bouma			| ".Sig Under Construction..."

  I've been following the news on a couple of things in reference to the
Mac.  First, Nutek has developed a chip set which is reportedly
compatible with the Mac, and implements most or all of the Toolbox
calls.  Nutek also licensed Motif from OSF to use as the window
interface, so they wouldn't have problems with Apple's copyrights.  They
expect computers base on this chip set to be available by the end of the
year at ridiculously low prices, as compared to Mac.
  Second, InfoWorld reported that John Sculley said that Apple would
license the Mac OS to third parties.  Perhaps this is from pressure by
Nutek, perhaps not, but the fact remains that as soon as third parties
get in on the Mac bandwagon, there will be a lot more of those machines
at much better prices than there is now.
  These two moves should greatly enlarge the share of the marketplace
held by the Mac and compatible computers.  Of course it will take time,
but the number of Macs may eventually catch up to the PC clones, or
maybe not. :)

-Anatole

--
Anatoly Ivasyuk @ Computer Science House @ Rochester Institute of Technolgy
       (anatoly@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu) || (axi0349@ultb.isc.rit.edu)

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (04/05/91)

Interesting comment floating around the Mac Conferences on BIX:
Mac 512KE and Mac Plus users are complaining because Apple has
dropped support for their machines with the upcoming release of
System 7.0.  Don't think we're all alone!
*** Randy Hyde

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (04/06/91)

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>Interesting comment floating around the Mac Conferences on BIX:
>Mac 512KE and Mac Plus users are complaining because Apple has
>dropped support for their machines with the upcoming release of
>System 7.0.  Don't think we're all alone!

  I think that should be Mac 128 and Mac 512 users.  512KE and Pluses
will definitely run System 7.0, so long as they have 2MB of memory.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"If it weren't for your gumboots, where would you be?   You'd be in the
hospital, or in-firm-ary..."  F. Dagg

express@pro-grouch.cts.com (Jeff Goodman) (04/07/91)

Yes I saw Mac Pluses being resold new through a mail order catalog for
$600, but from what I understand, they could do some memory upgrade stuff
and then they would be able to run system 7 if they had a hard drive as
well.  I don't know that for sure cause I'm stuck in the past with my IIe,
and so far, I still like it that way.

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/07/91)

In an earlier article, Anatole writes:

>  These two moves should greatly enlarge the share of the marketplace
> held by the Mac and compatible computers.  Of course it will take time,
> but the number of Macs may eventually catch up to the PC clones, or
> maybe not. :)

        {The two moves were about Nutek's ROM clone and Apple licencing out its
O/S}

        The only problem is with Apple letting go of its control over 3rd
parties making Mac clones is that Apple's profit margins will go down the
tubes. Which would really mess over Apple. One of the reasons why the Macs are
more expenisive is that you're paying for all that wonderful GUI to make your
computing easier. Just to show how much that costs, Apple spent over $400
million last year on R&D, and I don't think the II line got that much of it.
Thus I don't see Apple wanting to see the prices of Macs drop too far because
it has to pay for developing the line too as well as develop its upcoming mac
replacement. {and our II line as well!}

                                                           - Hal