[comp.sys.apple2] uncompress for the Apple2?

gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) (04/01/91)

Is there a utility that will uncompress files using the adaptive Lempel-Ziv
coding system?  I would like to use the unix 'compress' command to make files
smaller, downloading them, and then uncompressing them on the Apple (gs).

Thanks!

--
Gerardo Leute			"Home is where the heart lies,
   				 but when the heart lies, where is home?"

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar31.235843.21088@wpi.WPI.EDU> gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) writes:
>Is there a utility that will uncompress files using the adaptive Lempel-Ziv
>coding system?  I would like to use the unix 'compress' command to make files
>smaller, downloading them, and then uncompressing them on the Apple (gs).

Gerardo,
 Get GSShrinkit v1.04 by Andy Nicholas. A good FTP location is
 tybalt.caltech.edu.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

wilner@motcid.UUCP (Corey S. Wilner) (04/06/91)

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:

>In article <1991Mar31.235843.21088@wpi.WPI.EDU> gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) writes:
>>Is there a utility that will uncompress files using the adaptive Lempel-Ziv
>>coding system?  I would like to use the unix 'compress' command to make files
>>smaller, downloading them, and then uncompressing them on the Apple (gs).

>Gerardo,
> Get GSShrinkit v1.04 by Andy Nicholas. A good FTP location is
> tybalt.caltech.edu.

Is there such a beast for the Apple //e.  I too would like to compress some UNIX
files before grabbing them with my Apple.  Does Shrinkit 3.2.3 do the job?

Corey S. Wilner    |                            |   __o
Motorola Cellular  | ..!uunet!motcid!wilner     |  -\<,
708-632-7206       | motcid!wilner@uunet.UU.NET |  O/ O
McAfee's Law of Physical Material Balance:
Matter can be neither created nor destroyed.
However, it can be lost!

parkern@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Neil Parker) (04/07/91)

In article <4497@mint17.UUCP> wilner@motcid.UUCP (Corey S. Wilner) writes:
>lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar31.235843.21088@wpi.WPI.EDU> gerardo@wpi.WPI.EDU (Gerardo Leute) writes:
>>>Is there a utility that will uncompress files using the adaptive Lempel-Ziv
>>>coding system?  I would like to use the unix 'compress' command to make files
>>>smaller, downloading them, and then uncompressing them on the Apple (gs).
>>Gerardo,
>> Get GSShrinkit v1.04 by Andy Nicholas. A good FTP location is
>> tybalt.caltech.edu.
>Is there such a beast for the Apple //e.  I too would like to compress some UNIX
>files before grabbing them with my Apple.  Does Shrinkit 3.2.3 do the job?

Alas, there will probably never be such a beast for the standard Apple //e
(i.e. one without lots of memory expansion cards).

The problem is that Lempel-Ziv is a major memory hog.  It works by building
a huge dictionary of strings, and building a dictionary big enough to
match UNIX compress requires far more memory than most //e's have (over
400K, in fact).

The reason Shrinkit can do Lempel-Ziv on an Apple //e is that it doesn't
try to match UNIX compress...it uses a dictionary small enough to fit into
the Apple's memory.  If the size of the UNIX compress dictionary were
similarly restricted (which is fairly easy to do--use "compress -b12"), it
would theoretically be possible to uncompress the resulting file on an
Apple //e (unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has yet
written a program to do so.)

               - Neil Parker
--
Neil Parker                 No cute ASCII art...no cute quote...no cute
parkern@jacobs.cs.orst.edu  disclaimer...no deposit, no return...