[comp.sys.apple2] SRC for ORCA APW?

252u3744@fergvax.unl.edu (Jerry Annin) (04/07/91)

	Hey there,

	I own ORCA/pascal but have not used it in a while since I've
	been concentrating on C and UNIX for a class I'm taking.  Well
	today I pulled it out and ran through it again.  I FINALLY
	found out how to set up a text based system.  That info was
	kind of brushed aside by the docs.  I was amazed and I'm still
	not sure why.  The book mentioned it as a unix-like text
	environment.  I got right down to alias-ing my frequently used
	commands in UNIX to theirs.  Like ls for their CAT.  And cat for
	their TYPE.  Etc.

	I was wondering if anyone has tapped the potential for this
	operating environment.  In particular porting some unix commands
	that would be useful.  Or making GS specific commands.  How
	about vi?  Or modem/terminal progs?  I see a great area for
	experimenting.  I'm SURE that there are unlimited uses.

	Some may wonder why I am toying with it when there is a nifty
	mouse-driven, visual, picture-like, desktop editor with all the
	goodies.  Well I'm not to sure either.  One reason may be that
	it seems much more adaptable to my needs.  The nifty PRIZM
	operating environment is good for debugging, but leaves MUCH
	to be desired for other applications.  Especially custom apps.
	I also see it as a good educating tool for someone like me to
	practice on.  I'm taking CSE courses on some sort of VAX running
	UNIX and I need to keep my talents honed.

	I want to know who is using this.  Have you written anything
	useful yet?  Do you have any advice for me?  Is there anything
	I could help with?  Am I getting carried away about nothing?
	Maybe I should just go play frisbee.

	Thanks for responding.  Posts and e-mail equally accessable.

	Jerry Annin  is  252u3744@fergvax.unl.edu

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (04/07/91)

In article <252u3744.670976231@fergvax> 252u3744@fergvax.unl.edu (Jerry Annin) writes:

>	I own ORCA/pascal but have not used it in a while since I've
>	been concentrating on C and UNIX for a class I'm taking.  Well
>	today I pulled it out and ran through it again.  I FINALLY
>	found out how to set up a text based system.  That info was
>	kind of brushed aside by the docs.  I was amazed and I'm still
>	not sure why.  The book mentioned it as a unix-like text
>	environment.  I got right down to alias-ing my frequently used
>	commands in UNIX to theirs.  Like ls for their CAT.  And cat for
>	their TYPE.  Etc.

Actually, I edited my SYSCMNDS file so I didn't have to do the extra
step of aliasing everything.
>	I was wondering if anyone has tapped the potential for this
>	operating environment.  In particular porting some unix commands
>	that would be useful.  Or making GS specific commands.  How
>	about vi?  Or modem/terminal progs?  I see a great area for
	      ^^
Well, I like vi for a unix editor (never learned emacs) and I can do
just about anything I need to in it.  (Cut, paste, macros, etc, etc)
But I'd rather use an editor without the insert/cursor move modes.  I
would like to see an editor for the Orca environment that fully
supported regular expressions for search and replace, however.

>	experimenting.  I'm SURE that there are unlimited uses.

[... stuff nuked ...]

>	I want to know who is using this.  Have you written anything
>	useful yet?  Do you have any advice for me?  Is there anything
>	I could help with?  Am I getting carried away about nothing?
>	Maybe I should just go play frisbee.

There are useful utilities.  There are quite a few on GEnie, a few on
the FTP sites, and probably bunches more on America Online (I don't
have an account on there).  If you want to port a really useful
program, try to port FLEX or BISON.  I'm going to try those this
summer after my upgrade to Orca/C v1.2 arrives.  If you haven't taken
a compiler course, or aren't interested in compilers, those two names
won't mean much to you.

--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr7.064013.7167@ee.ualberta.ca> jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) writes:
>In article <252u3744.670976231@fergvax> 252u3744@fergvax.unl.edu (Jerry Annin) writes:
>
>>	I was wondering if anyone has tapped the potential for this
>>	operating environment.  In particular porting some unix commands
>>	that would be useful.  Or making GS specific commands.  How
>>	about vi?  Or modem/terminal progs?  I see a great area for
>	      ^^
>Well, I like vi for a unix editor (never learned emacs) and I can do
>just about anything I need to in it.  (Cut, paste, macros, etc, etc)
>But I'd rather use an editor without the insert/cursor move modes.  I
>would like to see an editor for the Orca environment that fully
>supported regular expressions for search and replace, however.

   Get MicroEMACS. It works very well under the ORCA shell and has only
an insert mode. It also allows pattern searches, though probably of a
different syntax than that of 'vi'.
   Other programs that I've used to enhance my shell are the UNIX
compress command (I renamed ORCA's compress to 'purge') and uuen/uudecode.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | Flash: morning star seen
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | in evening! Baffled