[comp.sys.apple2] yet another gs unzip message

svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric C. Anderson) (04/06/91)

Hi again, everyone.  I've been working on my gs unzip thing some more.  The
un-imploding routine is now assembly source, instead of assembly placed inside
a C function.  This has allowed the use of a separate (bank-aligned) direct
page for the un-imploding code (one fewer cycle per dp-addressing instruction
helps reduce execution time).  Anyway, the program now appears to be somewhere
between 6.0x and 8.4x faster than Martin E. Peckham's GS Unzip thing (as
before, the lower figure is for a tiny file, and the higher figure is for a
large file).

I've also been hunting bugs.  The ask_before_overwrite code now works, and the
unShrinking partial-clear code may work (I don't have any Shrunk files which
tell the uncompressor to perform a partial-clear, so this is hard to test...).
Anyway, I'm going to upload this version to that binaries group.  Feedback
would be appreciated.

Other thing #1: where should I upload source code?  Is there a "sources" group
for the Apple II?

Other thing #2 (to Andy Nicholas): I think we've been having e-mail
difficulties again.  Last week (approximately) I received a message from you
asking me to let you know if it reached me.  Apparently my "let you know"
message never reached its destination.  Oh well.

Other thing #3: does anyone out there want a shell (.exe)
program for encrypting/decrypting files using that "cellular automaton"
encryption method?  Good fun for the crypto nuts out there.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!svetozar
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!svetozar@nosc.mil
INET: svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/07/91)

In article <4512@orbit.cts.com> svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric C. Anderson) writes:

>Other thing #1: where should I upload source code?  Is there a "sources" group
>for the Apple II?

You could try comp.sources.apple2, but I'd put it in comp.binaries.apple2 as
that will reach more sites.

Also, if you upload source code, be sure to mark how you want it treated (ie,
as freeware, shareware, gnu-ware, etc).

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (04/08/91)

In article <4512@orbit.cts.com> svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric C. Anderson) writes:
[...]
>Other thing #1: where should I upload source code?  Is there a "sources" group
>for the Apple II?

Please bundle the source with the EXE file and documentation.

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer