[comp.sys.apple2] Help with making a joystick compatible.

sharris@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) (04/07/91)

Does anyone have a schematic (sp?) of either of the two joystick ports
on the GS.  I am trying to save some money and not directly buy one
but instead convert one to the GS.  Thanks in advance.
Scott Harris
--
Scott A. Harris   sharris @ brahms.udel.edu   sharris @ chopin.udel.edu
                 HIO01142 @ udelvm.udel.edu    harris @ freezer.it.udel.edu

In article <20225@brahms.udel.edu> sharris@brahms.udel.edu (Scott A Harris) writes:
>Does anyone have a schematic (sp?) of either of the two joystick ports
>on the GS.  I am trying to save some money and not directly buy one
>but instead convert one to the GS.  Thanks in advance.

	I presume you already know this, but just in case you don't...

	You need an analog joystick for the Apple II series.. That is,
you can't convert an Atari (2600 type.. has only one button anyway) or
Amiga type joystick.

	You could probably make one from 'scratch' with a couple of
potentiometers, but it sounds like a pain in the butt..

	I have thought of that though.. Make a joystick and a couple buttons
beside the joystick in a slab of wood or something... Get the
expensive ($7 each) arcade-type pushbuttons that I've heard about on other
newsgroups. Wouldn't that be cool to have an arcade-type joystick on your
computer?? So you wouldn't have to hold it in your hand, you could play
it like an arcade game..

	Alas, there aren't many games on the GS that would benefit from
this, so... (Maybe Xenocide and the newest shareware Greenestone game)
A good GS  Robotron or Smash TV would be nice to play!! heh.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! ULTIMA VI GS -mail me. CDs-mail me\
\          McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids.               /

alfter@nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (04/08/91)

In article <14219@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	You need an analog joystick for the Apple II series.. That is,
>you can't convert an Atari (2600 type.. has only one button anyway) or
>Amiga type joystick.

Actually, I converted an Atari-compatible joystick so it would work.
It required a new plug (you need a female connector; Atari uses a male
connector), a few resistors, and a pushbutton (if you want both
firebuttons).  The ROM routines to read the joystick work properly,
but some games (Aliens, for example) try to access the joystick
hardware directly and don't do too good a job of it.  (Trying to move
the joystick down and/or to the right in these games doesn't work.)

Support Operation Apple Storm!          / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/