[comp.sys.apple2] svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) (04/06/91)

Sorry to waste everyone else's time, but I am having problems getting
messages to this guy.  First it starts griping about me having a period in
my finger name, saying it should be in quotes (bouncing back to me 119
times) and now it bounced (4 times) saying "(null) is not a valid account
on orbit" or some such message.  Note: only two messages were sent, I got
123 total bounce messages.  I'm having my local sysadmin look into this.

Meanwhile, svetozar, yes I am interested in both topics you mentioned in
mail.  Please send, with some other alternate paths not involving the site
"orbit".  I can't mail direct to pnet sites.  (Some of the first group of
bounced messages said that "svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org is not a valid
account on pnet51" as well.)

--
///   ____   \\\ "It says, `Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B, Hold 7, Telephone
| |/ /    \ \| |  Sanitizer, Second Class,' and a serial number." "A telephone
 \\_(\____/)_//                sanitizer?  A dead telephone sanitizer?"  "Best
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu       kind." "But what's he doing here?" "Not a lot."

shrinkit@Apple.COM (Andrew Nicholas) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr05.210403.25726@hoss.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Lig Lury Jr.) writes:

>Sorry to waste everyone else's time, but I am having problems getting
>messages to this guy.

You aren't the only one.

>Meanwhile, svetozar, yes I am interested in both topics you mentioned in
>mail.  Please send, with some other alternate paths not involving the site
>"orbit".  I can't mail direct to pnet sites.  (Some of the first group of
>bounced messages said that "svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org is not a valid
>account on pnet51" as well.)

I'm glad that it's just not something with apple.com's mailer -- I've been
trying like crazy to send eric mail, but it doesn't work!  I'm trying to tell
him that I'd gladly put the unzip code into gs-shrinkit, but none of my
letters get through!  argh!

andy

--
Andy Nicholas			GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit
Apple IIGS System Software		    CompuServe: 70771,2615

lucifer@world.std.com (Kevin S Green) (04/07/91)

>I'm glad that it's just not something with apple.com's mailer -- I've been
>trying like crazy to send eric mail, but it doesn't work!  I'm trying to tell
>him that I'd gladly put the unzip code into gs-shrinkit, but none of my
>letters get through!  argh!

Andy,
 Not to step on Eric's parade, but...If you have continual trouble
getting mail to/from him mail me. I have lots of unzip code that
I've been hanging onto for when I make an attempt at programming.
I also have original source for uuencode and uudecode if you want
to include those in GSHK.

(Eric is the guy that did the revised version of the Unzip right?
If so, then I hope you are able to get his code...his version is
a vast improvement over the other unzip from '87)

--
Kevin S. Green / lucifer@world.std.com / {xylogics;uunet}!world!lucifer

svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric C. Anderson) (04/08/91)

Hello again everyone.  Sorry about all these mail problems.  You might want to
try sending stuff to 30@offhook.marilyn.mn.org - I don't know if it will work,
but you never know.  I'm new to this p-net place, so maybe I'm screwing
something up without knowing it.  Oh well.

Other thing: A couple days ago, I uploaded the 5 April 1991 version of my gs
unzip thing, mentioning some bugs I had removed.  Ahh, but I neglected to
mention the doggone bug I inadvertently added by incorrectly changing a
#define.  I hope this didn't cause anyone problems; the 7 April 1991 version
(which I'll put on that "binaries" group once I finish babbling) fixes this,
and is a few % faster too.  It uncompressed finder.zip (gs finder v1.3) in
under 13 seconds.  Mr. Peckham's gs unzip thing took 132 seconds.  Ouch!

I've had some ideas for decreasing execution time further, but it would
involve some dubious changes to the output buffer allocation - aligning it on
a 64K bank boundary, to be specific.  Maybe it would be better to leave this
alone.  Also, eventually I'll have to re-write the un-shrinking (LZW) code in
assembly, too.  C is just too slow on the 65816.

Well, that's about it from me.  Sorry again for the 5 April 1991 program's
bug.  If you find this unzip program useful, be sure to get the 7 April 1991
version.  Bye.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!svetozar
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!svetozar@nosc.mil
INET: svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org

shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org (Shawn P. Stanley) (04/08/91)

svetozar@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric C. Anderson) writes:
> Hello again everyone.  Sorry about all these mail problems.  You might want t
> try sending stuff to 30@offhook.marilyn.mn.org - I don't know if it will work
> but you never know.

Such confidence! :-)
--
Shawn P. Stanley              +1 612 929 5181 voice
shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org  +1 612 929 5266 data