[comp.sys.apple2] IIgs ROM revisions -- EsoniqREAD/NEW

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (04/05/91)

In article <8359@crash.cts.com>,
aford@pro-mansion.cts.com (Adam Ford) writes:
> Well, look at the ROM 01 then ROM 02 then ROM 3.  The ROM 02 was killed off
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> fast.

Don't you mean ROM 00, ROM 01, and ROM 03?  ROM 00 was the first IIgs rom
shipped and the boot screen didn't say anything about a rom version on
the bottom of the screen.  Then ROM 01 was released as a free upgrade
(along with another graphics chip if needed) that were bug fixes, etc..
Unfortunately, this created confusion because some people called it
"ROM 2.0" and some people called it "ROM 01" so people got confused and
thought there were 2 ROM revisions.  ROM 03 is in all the Apple IIgs 1 Meg
computers and cannot be upgraded to (nor is there any real reason to).
  In shorts, "ROM 02" is nonexistant.  So what do you mean by "The ROM 02 was
killed off fast."?  There was no ROM 02.  If you meant "ROM 01", it was
around for at least 1 year and never 'killed off'.  I and lots of others
are still using it with no problems.

> My friend has an 02.  Software companies (acording my dealer) took
> shortcuts, and used loop holes to make software for the ROM 01.  Some of
> these things (i.e. PaintWorks GOLD) cannot be used on ROM 3, because of the
> companies, NOT because of Apple.  I am saying, if a company makes a product
> that requires software, the software would proabbly be better than if it
> was made from a different company.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huh?  I don't follow?  Do you mean that NO software should come from Apple?
or that Apple should create all software?  Or am I missing the point
entirely?

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     This .sig may not be used
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         for public viewing or

plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (04/08/91)

If you want to get REALLY picky, there is no ROM 03 either.  The
progression of ROMs goes like this:  ROM 00, ROM 01, ROM 3.  Not 03.. just
3.  But, that's only if you want to get REALLY picky.

PLine:  plucky.duck@pro-midnightex / tg.exc@pro-harvest| The Toxic Revenger! |
INET:   plucky.duck@pro-midnightex.cts.com             |---------------------|
UUCP:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck               |  If you have an HP  |
ARPA:   crash!pro-midnightex!plucky.duck@nosc.mil      |  DeskJet for sale,  |
BITNET: plucky.duck%pro-midnightex.cts.com@nosc.mil    |  please e-mail me.  |