[comp.sys.apple2] Help with Curses!

SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU (04/08/91)

	I know this isn't the best place to leave this message, but I don't
have any other place where I can ask for help. I'm writing a program under
C in Unix on our NeXT computers here at school. The problem I'm having is
that while I'm logged on the console {or the NeXT itself} the scanf function
will be able to handle the delete key correctly - so if I press the delete
key, it goes back one character. The problem is that if I press the delete
key while I'm logged in through telnet {like from my room} or through
rlogin when I press the delete key, I get a ^? instead. This even occurs when
I rlogin from one NeXT to another. Is there anything I can do to remove this
problem without having to do a more complicated patch? I'm writing it in
Unix/C right now just to be able to get to know how to learn to use these
machines, and then when I'm done, I was going to port it over to the IIs, so
the sooner we can get me going, the sooner we can have a new game!!!

						- Hal

P.S. its an NBA simulation game for 1 to 2 players...

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (04/09/91)

In article <97448F98A021432F@MACALSTR.EDU> SHBOUM@MACALSTR.EDU writes:
>	I know this isn't the best place to leave this message, but I don't
>have any other place where I can ask for help.

No local system administrator?

[snip]
>                                 The problem is that if I press the delete
>key while I'm logged in through telnet {like from my room} or through
>rlogin when I press the delete key, I get a ^? instead. This even occurs when
>I rlogin from one NeXT to another. Is there anything I can do to remove this
>problem without having to do a more complicated patch?

Try "stty erase <delete>", where <delete> means you hit the delete key.
I'll bet that hitting Ctrl-H will back up a space when <delete> doesn't work.

I don't think this has much to do with curses; it's more the Mach line
discipline.  Try "stty all" or "stty everything" for some other interesting
stuff.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden